Dumaguete Info Search

Buying property and experiences with realtors, property owners.

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Pedro, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Hello all, I met my wife and eventually married her in Dumaguete city. We now have two children, a boy and a girl and currently live in Florida USA. We have recently visited Dumaguete so that our children could meet more of their family. I have about ten years to go to retirement and a small pension and I want to buy a home or land near Dumaguete. When last there we did Visit Valencia and Dauin areas. What I would like to know are what have been some of the Expat experiances with realtors when buying a home or land. Have they been favorable and what are some things that I will need to know about buying and owning a home in Dumaguete.

And because I am curious about starting a business I am also interested to know if anyone has any information on business permits and taxes that a business owner may be responsible for and if they have any comments on business financing with the local banks.

I guess I really have a lot of questions and this site seems to be a wonderful resource and I am looking forward to receiving responses from many of you. I remember when looking for info on Dumaguete on the internet the only source was a personal page of one of the earlier Expats, I can see things are really growing there but I know there is still plenty of room for growth, I just hope that it is done smartly and with keeping what is best for the local population and those who can appreaciate what a beautiful place they live in.

2. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Pedro, i would not buy any land or a house until you have lived there in Duma for a year or so. Rent first.
    What kind of business are you looking to do? Its kind of a pain to get a business license. If I were you, I would look into maybe import/export business. What can you sell in Florida that you can source in the Philippines. Also, you might want to look at the American Chamber of Commerce and the Philippine Chamber of Commerce for some ideas. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.