Dumaguete Info Search

Camiguin or Siargao

Discussion in '☋ Other Destinations in the Philippines and Asia ☋' started by yabs, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    If i was being overly cautious diver then i wouldn't go to the Philippines at all
    FACT remains that it is the most disaster stricken nation in the world and whilst the security situation in the rest of the country is not sufficient to avoid the entire country certain areas are off limits as far as i'm concerned.
    I would no sooner book a ticket to JOLO then i would Iraq.
    The british embassy does adivice against the whole of Mindionao
    including Siargao, . Whilst this may be a bit extreme as i would think the north east is away from the trouble spots but it does have consequences. One of which is holiday insurance. If you are in an area which is off limits
    according to your embassy then all travel insurance is usually void
    in these areas which is definatley something to consider. I agree that the chance of a visit coinciding with a tsunami is minimal
    but pickled newt was referring to buying property there and in this aspect he is spot on. Again it is my understanding that this island and camiguin is away from the violent prone areas but thought i'd get some first hand advice on the situation.

2. Philippinediver

Philippinediver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Siargao is safe as a babies bottom

It is nice to see healthy viewpoint shared on this board. Again, as far as Siargao is concerened you are looking at a genuine abberration relative to the rest of Mindanao and Philippines. It has always been quiet and peaceful. Fact is, most if not all of the better beachfront properties have been already scooped up by foreigeiners from various nationalities. There is a major surfing tournament every year that attracts surfers and tourists from all over the world. One of the more expensive all inclusive resorts is located on Siargao. As for a Tsunami, that is unlikely due to the exptreme depth of the water so close to shore. Siargao is also located south of the typhoon belt. So I guess I must reiterrate that this is probably one of the safer places to be in the Philippines. I am sorry you don't go as you are surely losing out on seeing a special place.

3. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    all beach front property gone already?
    just goes to back my point that most foreigners are the ones who ruin these places anyway so allowing them to won property legally would be
    a very bad thing.
    so what are the beaches on siargao like?
    i'm not a surfer but a swimmer and snorkeller

4. Philippinediver

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Ignorant Statement

The fact is allowing foreginers to own property here in the Philippines will be the salvation of this country. Foreigners will bring needed employment and will help this country actually lose its 3rd world status. Your environment is also going to hell and foreign ownership would help salvage your environment and tourism wuld increase. Anyway, maybe the best thing you could do IS NOT go to Siargao. Too many foreigners there and we would'nt want to upset you too much.

5. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It sure does look like "Mr. Philippinediver " s only reason for being on this board is INSULTING PEOPLE . His vision about everything is the only right one , not leaving any space for others way of thinking or believing.Some of these days he will run into the wrong person.. Becoz these things do happen :Only the Philippines

6. Philippinediver

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    earlmj's veiled threats

Earlmj I surely look forward to meeting you in Dumaguete. Maybe you are that wrong person I'll run into diba!!!!

7. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Excuse me , but did I threat you It was a matter of speech . I just said some of these days.. I can tell you events where that realy took place. Also in Negros some 15 years ago ..Mr. Gerry Clay from Florida ( known as the Sharkman ) went scubadiving and.. He was originated from the Netherlands but spend most of his live in Florida .

8. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    apologies for my ignorance Philippine diver.
    I forgot it was all the land speculation and
    foriegners owning property and diving in on the property development wagon
    that saved the environment of Thailand especially in Pattaya, Hua Hin and Phuket. If it wasn't for the development and tourism
    they would all be environmental disasters unlike the pristine bastions of
    sustainable development they are today.
    Differenet countries I know but same rules will apply.
    You are right in some respects and DIve resorts runningb to sound environmenatl policies are good for the environment but residential places which probably dump their waste water into the sea aren't, and thatsd apart from the land speculation and ultimate huge price increases.
    Homes in thailand are now going for 4 to 5oo thousand US dollars and thats
    on a crap beach.
    Thailand has been well and truly raped by short term greed by foreign
    and local developers. I would of thought that most people came to the Phils because we are not into that commercial scene. I hope to god the Phils never ends up like this but it will with more and morte boan head foreigners coming acting like big men with their money and wanting ot get rich
    of speculation because they weren't succesful enough back home
    to retire properly

9. Philippinediver

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Who Knows

I have no idea about Siargaos future. I can only hope development will be environmentally friendly as that seems to be the pretense of being there. Fortunately, there is limited beachfront property to exploit. So far it seems to be on the right track. I remember going to Boracay in 1980. There were 9 nipa huts and two restaurants. Baby powder white sand beaches and pure solitude. I had a chance to eat and spend time with about a dozen travelers from all over the world who had just been in Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma, China, Tibet, etc.. and had marvelous stories about those closed societies. How romantic it seemed yet sad at the same time. Well as we all know, the world is open and capitilism is front and center and has gone much the same way as Boracay is now good and bad. I haven't been back to Boracay since1980. Dumaguete is now on a path to greater development as is suggested by the new call canter, the robinsons mall and McDonalds. Invariable real estate prices will rise to uncomfortable levels for some or many. I guess there is good and bad with that. I honestly prefer a more tranquil Dumaguete but, with almost 400 million baby boomers retiring (entire world) in the next 15 years I don't think any tropical place on earth is safe from the onslaught. GET YOUR PIECE OF PARADISE NOW. LOL

10. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=philippines&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&tab=wn&sa=N&start=10

this makes interesting reading

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.