Dumaguete Info Search

Can anyone direct me to an atheist group

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by simouny, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    simouny

simouny DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I find that essay somewhat thoughtful and with merit for the author although particularly misleading to atheism especially with most of the definitions of belief. The essay failed to consider that some definitions actually do include tenets of acceptability to facts and or group which tend to use empirical studies. Nevertheless, pointing out the that theists do not need evidence to believe in something just goes to show why atheists are around to say otherwise.

2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Interesting thread. I suppose you could say I'm an agnostic. I freely admit that there may be a creator. Would this creator desire my worship? To what purpose? I think religion may be a fine thing. I agree with many things religions espouse. I also know that many people who attend services do not believe and would not be there except it's a great place to network. I have to admit that I am not fond of the people who say " I'm not perfect, just forgiven, who commit the same act repeatedly, repent, gain absolution and repeat the process hundreds of times for the same act and then tell me, I'm going to hell because I don't believe as they do, and attend their church. Did all the people who died before the true believers church was founded go to hell? I don't believe one needs to go to church, nor do I think mere attendance in church would save someone. When I enlisted in the military I wrote druid in the religion box.

3. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0

Simouny, are you a politician?

If not, you should think about it...

4. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    The belief or not in a supreme Deity of any religion is a matter of choice, but there is a yawning chasm between religious belief and religious practice. In the Middle East a non-believer of their religion is an infidel, but how many of those believers actually practice their religion ? If they all did, there would be peace there, for the Koran forbids killing, yet paradoxically allows the stoning to death of women adulterers under Sharia Law. Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism, Jain, Greek/Russian Orthodox et al, all have their claimed followers but not all of those who claim to follow actually put the teachings into practice.

And so it is with Christianity and all its' variations. Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, Salvation Army, Lutheran, etc. all have their members, but for many this only consists of attending church once on a Sunday, a charade which, once started, has to be kept up for appearance sake. So does that attendance at church make them a better person than the Atheist ? The question is rhetorical and the answer is undefineable. In these staunchly Catholic islands, often influenced by some of the more extreme demands of the Catholic church, it would still be difficult to find true Christian attitudes. The normal practice seems to be you can break every rule in the book, but on Sunday go to church, get absolution and forgiveness, make your donation, and on Monday morning you start the week with a clean sheet. The Commandment "Thou shalt not covet........." is broken on a daily basis; covetness (envy) is endemic and stories of false allegations made in order to secure land/property/business are endless. You only have to read the recent thread by Kenny in relation to giving/selling blood, and the subsequent replies in that thread, to make the connection that although Christianity abounds, Christian values may be very scarce.

Perhaps a better yardstick to measure things by would not be about particular beliefs, but about attitude to ones fellow man.
    Generosity, love, care, understanding, comfort, tolerance, honesty, compassion.
    If an Atheist has all or most of these qualities and a proclaimed christian has few or none, who is the better person ? Your conscience should provide the answer.

5. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thank You broadside. I have known people of several religions and some atheists as well. The atheists I met each had their own spirituality even if they did call it such.

I support the OP in his quest to find similarly inclined people to talk to. Fellowship with like-minded people has a way of honing ones thoughts.

I know that I really miss talking to people that share my understanding since there is no similar church here.

Good luck with your quest.

6. DivingDane

DivingDane DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I know there are Facebook groups for atheists in the area. One's called Silliman Atheists or something similar - do a search for it, if you're on Facebook.

Best of luck,

DD

7. OP
    OP
    simouny

simouny DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks DD

I did the search but could not find them. I suppose they already disolved the group.

8. Brucewayne

Brucewayne DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I am an atheist, but belong to no group.
    If there were no religions, there be no groups to form one way or another.
    I feel like the forming of a non belief group would make it a belief, which in turn would become a religion.
    If I didn't want to join the Athiest religion, what would I be called then?

9. fallenviking

fallenviking Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Invisible

Hi again. I tried to put some comments about atheism. But keeps getting deleted by moderator. Guess it's time to give up on Dumagt. Forum:(

10. OP
    OP
    simouny

simouny DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Having a group of non-belief does not make that group a religion as religion makes its own dogma. This in itself does not make atheism. However, if you think that way then we could rename that group a freethinking one which in description is just a group where one could express his/her own ideas/beliefs/thoughts etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.