Dumaguete Info Search

Car rental in dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by tbevan, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoopdog22

hoopdog22 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    does that include insurance? is there such a thing?

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... missed this thread, there is a new car rental in Dumaguete (German Philippino owned), starting PHP 1.900/day with or without driver, all cars 2005 or younger with insurance. Long term rates available

Dumaguete Car Rental

3. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Glad someone did it! There has been an obvious void in the space. Good luck to the new business owners!

4. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I hope they are succesfull as well. I suppose though, that the reason why the car rental market has been so poorly covered in Dumaguete undtil now, is that there simply is not enough demand.

That however is also a selfreinforcing bad circle, when the few companys in the market try to compensate for a lack of costumers by overcharging and delivering poor quality.

Happy Freds for instance used to quote a price of 5.500 peso pr. day to rent out a 15 year old Mazda Miuta, and that is frankly ridiculous.

1.700 peso pr. day for a basic Nissan Sentra still isn`t that cheap by international standards, but at least its an improvement compared to the offers, that were available, before this company started up business.

5. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    If you had a car for rent or Bike for that matter What would you charge. Do you have any idea of maintenance/upkeep repair of damage registration/insurance cost wear and tear. Plus you need to have a business license and BIR receipts and paid staff. You are correct it is not as cheap by international standards But this is not really an international country is it? Parts for repair whether new or surplus are far more expensive than abroad,and thats if they are even available. Dont think we will be seeing 11.95 per day car rentals anytime soon in Dumaguete:eek:

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I actually believe there is a big demand for that business... of course not for 2500 mainly very greedy duma-expats, but for thousands of visitors, who come here for business or a few weeks looking for houses or 100 other reasons.

Just a matter of advertising with the right channels and offices.

As I don't have a car, I also will have no problem to pay 1.900 plus some gasoline, throw my little family in and yell at the driver, where ever I wanna go for a day... including the total drunk Rhoody Pick up at 5 am somewhere..

7. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Actually I do, since I have been running a private car in Dumaguete for 5½ years now. And this has cost me about 30.000 peso in depreciation pr. year, around 3 peso pr. kilometer in maintainence and around 3.000 peso pr. year in insurance and LTO-fee. Or to sum it up around 63.000 peso pr. year with a yearly mileage of 10.000 km.

These are basically the costs to run an average second-hand small japanese sedan like the Nissan Sentra, and by international standards they are actually very low, which should enable low car rental rates as well.

However if you want to run a car rental business, there are a number of problems, which you will encounter like no local stock of original spareparts (have to be ordered from Manila, takes about one week or more), low quality of unoriginal spareparts (has very short life span), crooked and/or unskilled mechanics (like Europe in the 1950`s) and very freequent mechanical breakdowns or damages due to the local road and traffic conditions.

So in short you will need to spend a lot of time to keep a rental car running, plus you can not except it to be operational 100% of the time.

And to this the fact, that the customer base is pretty narrow compared to a bigger city, and a price of 1.700-1.900 peso pr. day for a Nissan Sentra or a similar basic car is probably pretty much as low as anyone can go, if the business is still to be profitable.

At least rental rates in Manila are not any lower than that, in spite of the much larger market, which exists there. So I agree, that we probably won`t see 11,95 EUR/day car rental in Dumaguete anytime soon - unfortunatly :wink:

8. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Sounds like a great deal... Just rented a car here in California that cost Me $33 plus tax per day unlimited milage thru Avis car rental.Of course,if You wanted insurance You either had to purchase Theirs for at least another $15 a day or utilize Your Own insurance.. To Me,the 6 PAX Van thru Dumaguete rentals sounds like a good deal,and I plan on using it this coming June and July when I'm there. Plus I get the choice to drive or not to drive.. If You ask Me,I would rather drive,because the last Driver Who drove Us to Sipalay on the Crazy {Unfinished/UnConstructed Dirt roads}, drove like a Bat out of Hell and spent more time texting on His cel phone than looking at the road ahead of Him! I'm sorry,but I have a 2 Year old and 4 Year old Daughter and it was already bad enough not having seat belts in the van,not to mention the clown behind the wheel texting everone on Negros... Hopefully Dumaguete rentals will be a breath of fresh air and I will no longer have to worry about these "Major Issues" in the future..... see You in June....

9. sljoy

sljoy DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone, I have a private car, mitsubishi 3-door pajero, and Im not using it as I prefer to use motorcyle to drive around town. If anyone is interested to rent it, just send me a msg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.