Dumaguete Info Search

Cert. to Marry

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by PatO, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Go Jack after the SMB. I have been down that road, and still happy. I would like to hear yours.:D

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Hi MalmoMan,

You are correct about the Church. But when we were married I got the cert. of legal capacity, I only had to raise my right hand in front of John Domingo at the Cebu consolate, and state that I was single and that to the best of my knowledge my soon to be wife was never married before. Then I was issued that legal document.

As my post before, we were married by the Mayor. My question is, If it's not legal for a Judge to perform a wedding, Is it legal for a mayor? Is mine legal?

Anyway please excuse me, only asking. I will be a sponsor (best man) next week for a Canadian, their wedding will be performed by a Judge.

I will let you know what happens.

Cheers Ron

'

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :smile:
    :smile:

I can only tell you what happened to me, I know nothing of any issue between the PI and the US. To me the Law is the Law in the country you are marrying in. This is not about any one else but me and my now Wife.

In November 1982 around the second if my memory serves me right, as I was not physically in the PI I went to the British Consulate. in Malaga Spain, I swore out an Affidavit to say that I was to marry this lady.
    I was then told it would be 21 working days before the CNI would be available in manila. I left Spain on the 18th December and flew to manila to meet Cory, on the 21st of December we stayed overnight at the Bay View Hotel and then went to the Embassy on the 22nd. I obtained my CNI and WOW! I thought we have done it. ( Wrong) on the Monday we went to City hall Dgte to file for a License. We were told that we had to attend a seminar about marriage ( What can you tell a 60 year old divorcee with 3 married children and a 42 year old lady with a child of 10 about marriage.) Then it had to be posted for 10 working days for any local objections

However, we had to produce this certificate before they would issue a Wedding License, the Waiting time for the seminar was 12 days. if anyone can remember it was a long holiday time over Xmas that year. This took us to January 4th or 5th, we wanted to marry on the 18th of Jan. So we went to the office in Sebulan and asked there, AH AH! we have a friend, so the certificate was issued in 2 days and no seminar, PHEW! Then we get the wedding license on the following Tuesday the 9th I think. OK we go to the Halls of Justice for the Marriage contract, HAH! it has to got to a Lottery, this is where the Judges are awarded a case by number not name. each Judge has a Number and the case has a Number, two sets of balls. First number is the Judge, second number is the case. So we have to attend the court on the Thursday and hear the case and who will be our Judge, we pull a Right B.......d. he will not do it on a Saturday, Monday or a Wednesday. He has private pupils, Better Pay I guess. OK so we say how about the Thursday 22 January. mmmm he says well let me see the programme of the wedding. THANK goodness we are a little connected, Our sponsors were, (spouses included) 1 Judge,3 Attorneys, 2 PCA,s and The section head of the NSO. He did not like Garden Weddings at all but I think he felt obliged to conduct this as most were his Class mates in Uni. After he Agreed to perform the wedding, we had to attend a Status interview to prove who we were. WHAT! I was saying, I have a Passport, CNI, Divorce Papers, What more can you want. PROOF! they said that you have permission to live in Spain as you are a British Citizen! I offered them Countless documents to attest I had lived in PI for many years BUT! I had put my last foreign Address as Spain ( apparently a requirement in PI ) OK we did all this and we Eventually got married at Palms and Pines on Thursday 22nd January 2009. A total of 32 days with a lot of help. This could go on a long time but I just wanted to Highlight the fact that the issue of the CNI is only just the begining of the Problems that can be encountered. :(

Than You all for reading it.:o

I am not out for any arguments, This is just the situation that happened to me.

Jack P.:smile:

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Wow you did go through a lot. Guess I got lucky. I hope it all goes well for PatO.
    Maby the guys and there sweetheart's and the kids for a swim on this thread, can get together at my house for a pot luck? around the middle of August?

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :confused: Hey! What about us, I am back in PI then:(

Jack P.:smile:

6. MalmoMan

MalmoMan Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

7. MalmoMan

MalmoMan Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is always a raffle ticket (lottery) as far as which Judge you will be connected with.
    The first thing they tell you at Dumaguete Court is that because you are an American, a Judge can not perform a wedding ceremony. The reason is that the Certificate of Legal Capacity is in LIEU of the original document. The requirement is that only original document from USA is valid. USA do NOT keep track of Marriages and Divorces and therefore such document is not available from USA. Anybody can perform a wedding ceremony in Phil but not the courts. Again I only speak for the Americans who like to get married in Philippines.

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Yes Jack that would be great!

9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082

10. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Lucky we live in the Philippines, Sometimes hard and sometimes easy. Anyway MalmoMan, can you make it to the pot luck?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.