Dumaguete Info Search

Chinese school?

Discussion in '☋ Education ☋' started by Kenny, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I know that this is about university but I have a question about the other end of the educational spectrum. Does anyone have knowledge of or experience with a Chinese elementary and or pre-school in Dumaguete? I may have my granddaughter staying with me for a while.
    Kenny

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You need to be more specific. What exactly do you mean by Chinese? Do you need a Chinese instructor because your granddaughter doesn't speak the local languages? Are you looking to start your granddaughter on the path to learning the languages spoken in China?

If the latter, then you need to decide exactly which language you would like her to learn. There is no "Chinese language," but the national language of China is Mandarin. However, there are many languages spoken by the Chinese. For example, the most commonly spoken language in Hong Kong is Cantonese, which is mutually intelligible from Mandarin.

I believe most well educated Chinese citizens can speak Mandarin but older or less educated locals may not be able to. Interestingly, the written language is the same for all areas of China. So even if two people don't speak the same language they can still understand the same writing.

I believe that classroom learning is not the best method for learning a language. I took a semester of Mandarin in college and the pace of the course was so fast I was more interested in survival techniques than actually learning and exploring the language. Lower level classes are less intense but have other problems.

My suggestion is to pick up an account at the chinesepod.com website. This is the best method for learning Mandarin (they don't have courses for other Chinese languages.) This course includes written as well as spoken instruction. You can download the podcasts for free to sample their methods but each podcast has supplemental material which only comes with a paid account.

In addition to the Chinesepod site, I recommend hiring Mandarin tutors. Some tutors are very affordable and you can speak with them over cheap voice services such as Skype.

I doubt there is much available for local instruction in the lower level classes. I believe Silliman University only has beginning Mandarin courses available.

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks Dude. I obviously wasn't specific enough. I was referring to an elementary or pre school where the teaching medium is English for half the day and Mandarin for half the day. Sacred Hearrt Academy and Cebu Eastern College, both in Cebu City, are examples of what I am looking for. These schools are supported by the Filipino-Chinese community so that their children can maintain their language and culture. The Chinese schools in the Philippines maintain the highest academic standards the language is a bonus.
    It takes an exceptional adult to become functional in any of the Chinese dialects no less fluent. It seems that children can learn language well without great difficulty, but even the most diligent adult will fossilize at some point. At least that has been my excuse for murdering most languages I attempt.
    I have heard of a school called Holy Cross associated with the Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce in Dumaguete but haven't been able to find out anything about it.
    Regards,
    Kenny

4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The clarification will help, but I can't answer your question. I have never been to the Philippines though I will hopefully be there in September.

I don't think language is difficult to learn for adults. In fact, I would throw out "difficult" and replace that term with "time consuming." A child whom spends half the day exposed to Mandarin in the classroom is in a better position to learn the language than an adult whom spends an hour every other day in self instruction.

If the adult were able to go through the same instruction, then I believe the adult would actually pick up the language faster. Adults are very good at their day jobs. For children, education is their day jobs.

Mandarin, like any language, is more complex than English is some regards but easier in many others. I believe Mandarin speakers would have a more difficult time learning English than the other way around. Give Chinesepod a try, I bet you will find it is much easier than you thought. However, you may not have the time available to learn a new language.

Time is our biggest problem I think. So many adults are so busy. Even if we don't really have many things to keep us busy, we are great at inventing wasteful methods for keeping up the appearance of being busy. I am lucky to be able to set aside the time to keep up with changes of my chosen field of business let alone learn a new language.

I wonder how good those schools really are? What non academic qualities do they teach? I spent all my childhood rebelling against school and pissing off my instructors. Today I am still refusing to listen to others and carving my own path. I think that sort of quality is what makes America so strong. :wink:

5. OP
    OP
    Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Dude,
    Good to hear you will be in Dumaguete in Sept. You're in for an interesting experience. I will be returning to the Philippines in Sept. as well. You have some good points. It will be good to discuss them face to face.
    Kenny

6. barramac

barramac DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Holy Cross is located in the centre of town. it has the reputation for being the best primary school in town
    mandarin is thought for 1 class a day

"I wonder how good those schools really are? What non academic qualities do they teach?"
    i used to hang around with a group philippino teachers, who taught at a high end private international school(catered for both primary and secondary) the school was 1-2 years behind western education standards(reviews from students that went to the west for university - most really struggled to catch up, even though everybody else was partying).
    the philippino teachers felt that the philippino school standards were about 4 years behind this international school.

7. OP
    OP
    Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Barramac,
    Thanks for the info on Holy Cross. I have seen the product of the International Schools around the world and I wasn't overly impressed. Both my daughters started school in Cebu Eastern College, a Chinese elementary school. It was hard to believe how rigorous the academic program was. They along with most of their classmates had tutoring before school, at lunch, and after class. This brings up the point I think the Dude was making that it produces a one dimensional education. The other side of that coin is that science and engineering programs in American Universities have a disproportionate number of Asian students. My daughter who is this child's mother attended Chinese school and wants her daughter to attend one also.
    Kenny

8. barramac

barramac DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    i get The Dudes point, freethinking is not high on the agenda in most asian education systems, taught by rote definitely predominates, even in universities and while you can see these one dimensional strict procedural process's everywhere (e.g. clerks), the the bright ones are able to adopt to circumstances and learn from context, if given the encouragement

i know someone who has researched holy cross for their little ones, i will get a review and post, but from what i have heard it is not as stringent as your cebu school experience

9. OP
    OP
    Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks. I look forward to it, and arriving in Dumaguete. I land in Cebu on the sixth and have to arrange to have transcripts from USC and SWU sent to the states. It is almost impossible to do by phone. As soon as that is taken care of it is off to Dumaguete. Hope to meet all of you soon.
    Kenny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.