Dumaguete Info Search

Choise of a Health Insurance

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by jellyfish, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I have to change my health insurance, cause I was far from satisfied with the previous one.
    I searched at the forum but could not find what I was looking for. So therefore this new thread.

Via my SRRV (Special Resident Retiree's Visa) application I got in contact with their accredited health insurance Prudentialife.
    I won't write down here all the misery I had with the contact persons of Prudentialife, who treated my as their victime i.s.o. their customer.
    I reported back already to the PRA (Philippine Retirement Authority) who supplied me the SRRV visum, that I never ever will advise a potential SRRV member to go to Prudentalife.
    I now are searching for a health insurance company who really takes care (at least at an acceptable 'standard') for their connected members.
    I'm now looking for Blue Cross but get the unhappy feeling that they also work like bureaucratics robots without any flexibility.
    E.G.: I show them all the "historical data" I have from my health situation over the last 3 years (2 yrs in Europe, 1 year in the Ph) but they still require to receive a clear STATISTIC.
    So they can't make themself a "statistic" based on 2 informations I send (one letter from my doctor in Europe and one email from my previous insurance in the Ph.) that I had NOT ANY medical problem and no health cost.

I would very much like to gather info on this forum of Health Insurance experiences from Expats living here in the Ph.
    I'm sure many people can benefit from the Pro's and the Con's of the many choises there are.
    Of course it's all very much dependend on costs for the premium.
    But that's also an aspect to share.
    Health Insurance Companies could hopefully become more prudent if they know that their treatments of people are shared on a forum like this
    (Am I a bit too optimistic ? :D )

2. Divemaster Don

Divemaster Don DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Medical care seems pretty reasonable here, What do plan on catching?

3. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Seems like a very sensible idea for a thread.

I'd also like to know if there are any 'medical aid' style plans that are open to all individuals, not just citizens or residents of the Phils, and if they are more cost effective than general travel insurance.

4. magnusg

magnusg DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, just a very short reply. I am insured with Blue Cross. They have an office in Cebu. Very easy to have to do with.

Blessings!
    Magnus

Home

---------
    Greater Grace Church, Dumaguete YOUTUBE slideshow:

User profile: GraceDumaguete

5. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Yes, important topic...comes up regularly on other Philippine forums on Yahoo. The general consensus is to 'self-insure'..i.e. keep enough cash, or card limit, to cover a medical emergency. Not so sure if that is viable in extreme cases. Have heard of multi-million peso emergencies occurring and that would be no fun without insurance. Have a bad stroke, serious cancer, major heart problem, head-on with Ceres maniacs...looking at big bucks even in the Philippines, which would often mean going to Manila or Cebu - unless you go to one of the provincial killing fields and call it a day and leave in a box...

Don't know how good Blue Cross currently is, only ran into one expat in Manila using them about two years ago (premium company paid) and he grumbled about the time it took to get refunded. They now have a card system which apparently approves payment at some hospitals (I just noticed SUMC is now on the system - recent addition). Bacolod has two hospitals on the system and a Blue Cross office. Premiums are not cheap, but looking into a couple other international expat plans out of UK etc...Blue Cross started looking very reasonable compared to theirs....and if you are 65 or over...they appear to be the only game in town. They offer Senior coverage...with somewhat reduced benefit limits and somewhat increased premiums.

Anyway, it appears most just wing it and hope for the best by 'self-insuring'. I've come to the conclusion that Blue Cross is probably the best way to go...

6. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    For what it's worth, Blue Cross does have a website:

Blue Cross Philippines

You can get benefits, and prices, for various plans. Looks expensive...but relative to many western countries...it doesn't appear too bad.

7. OP
    OP
    jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Thanks Garbonzo.
    I had as my first choise 2 years ago also Blue Cross and as mentioned earlier I'm now considering to take them as replacement for Prudentialife.
    I hope there are more who also take 65 yrs and older (soon I'm in that category :mad: ) but the premiums are not somewhat increasing, they are tremendously increasing !
    According to my info:
    Blue Royal premium for 61 till 65 yrs: 1219 USD (Plan A, core Benefit). At 66 yr old you have to change to "Premier".
    Blue Royal "Premier" premium for 66 till 70 yrs: 2131 USD
    And that will become 2980 USD from 70 yrs and 4165 USD from 76 yrs etc etc...
    I hope there are more 'providers' to be discussed here.
    Also the long refunding time that the Manila expat told you about, is not encouraging (with those annual premiums !).

8. ginni6

ginni6 DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    im very happy with generali philppines

9. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    LOL...yes I was understating...very bad habit...Did you also notice the optional meds and doctor visits etc coverage disappear under the Premier plan? Not offered. If you find anything better for over 65 please post it. I couldn't find anything...still in mid 50's....but my wife is getting there sooner than I am..:D..

Will keep an eye on this topic too...very important.

10. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Probably cheaper just to let nature takes its course JF.

Has been nice knowing you, see you on the flipside. :D