Dumaguete Info Search

Climbing Mount Talinis

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Union Jack, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever been to Mt. Talinis and if he/she can share the experience with the forum.........

2. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Hi "union jack" I have been up there about 4 Years ago, there are several Routes/Trails up to Mount Talinis, the Climb will take 5-8 Hours depending on the way one takes and it is usual safe around Easter in the dry Season, don't try it during Rainy Season like this Year with very unpredictable Weather.

3. OP
    OP
    Union Jack

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi "simple mind", thanks for your feedback. So you're saying that it is a challenging trekking along forest trails for a good 5-8 hours.....do you need any climbing/ mountaineering skills and equipment? What about guides? Any particular danger apart from the expected mud slides, tree felling, poor visibility due to low clouds/mist and wildlife? Is there any drinking fresh water along the way? Which equipment would you suggest to take and which level of fitness do you think is needed? Any fee to pay to the local municipality...........? Many thanks for any feedback.
    Cheers......

4. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Hi "union jack", sorry for the delayed reply, I was 2004 and again 2005 up on Talinis and both times I was in company with a Swiss Guy (I don't have conntact anymore) who has been several times bevor on the Top, 04 we went literaly staight up the Mountain with starting point at "Timbao", the second time we went from "Magsasay" on a longer less steep Route which brought us to the Lake between the two Peaks and then up on to the Eastern Peak, the one you can see from Dumaguete.
    In general you don't really need a Guide but I know of People who knew about
    the Hills and got lost anyway.:eek: Best bet is probably to check out Tourist information in Dumaguete and in Valencia. You have to be on your way by 5 am and bring at least 3 liters of Water because there is no drinking Water to be found (maybe if you are a Survival Expert), also some Food, dry Clothes
    to change, Rain Gear, good Shoes, go back down arond midday and remember the way down is much harder then the way up.:wink:
    Ah, 5-8 Hours ONE way!

5. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    I forgot to mention that we were a Group of 7 in 04 and 9 in 05, consisting of Males aged 45-60 and Girls aged 25-41 Years, we were all resonably Fit, if you are interested in the Pictures I took on the way, send me a PM and I will prepare a CD-ROM for you.

6. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    You might enjoy these pics from tonight:

This pic shows the Rizal Statue in the foreground and Mt. Talinis in the background. I loved the colors....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  7. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Great Pictures, as always, "OnMyWay", you should go up to the Peak one Day and take some Pictures of the Top of Mt.Talinis, incredible Vegetation and Landscapes...

8. OP
    OP
    Union Jack

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Give me money honey......

Hello everyone....I'm bringing the subject back to life because I would like to ask you if is there any particular danger into climbing Mt. Talinis, specifically to long noses, such as kidnapping for ransom or political/ religious reason or simple hatred for any long nose up and about.
    I'm asking because when I launched the idea to my nephew I've got a categorical NO WAY for the reasons above mentioned. As I'm not a hero nor a total stupid yet, I'll probably give it a miss, reluctantly..... What can you add to this?

9. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I too, have always wanted to climb up Talinis and was planning to do so on My next trip, but one of main concerns has always been what is mentioned above. Love to get some feedback on this one..... {I guess it woudn't hurt to carry a can of Pepper spray to ward off any Rodents}....... But hopefully that won't be necessary.....Cheers........

10. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    I am here since 99' and have been up and down almost every Hill around Valencia and have not "EVER" heard or experienced anything like that mentioned above!
    I would almost call it ridiculouse to think that this is being believed possible in this area.
    The way you behave, it will come back on you, so, if you act agressive and don't know how to read Situations, you maybe better stay home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.