Dumaguete Info Search

Complaint dumaguete airport

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by davfitz, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    14 years ago there were metered taxis in Dumaguete. Ken Taxi fron Cebu started a branch here. It did not fare so well. Pardon the pun! Actually they tried after a while to charge extra in addition to the meter price,after about 6 months there was only one left

2. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    @firefly

Public transportation, we must have, that is obvious. But not nessesarely in the form of 1 million tricyles. Buses and jeepneys are also public transport, and they are better than tricyles in any possible way, except the ability to bring people from a) to b) without the need to walk even a few meters.

Last time I visited Dumaguete, I noticed on a number of occations, that my eyes started to run with water, when I was driving or walking around downtown. This is how bad the air polution has gotten now. And the main reasons are the large number of tricycles still using 2-stroke engines and big trucks, where the engine is not properly maintained.

Cebu is a much bigger city than Dumaguete, but actually the air is less poluted in Cebu than in downtown Dumaguete. And Cebu have plenty of public transport, just only in the form of jeepneys or taxis instead of tricycles.

@Bikerdave

Interesting information. Still, 14 years is a very long time ago, and Dumaguete has grown a lot since then. So it might be time for someone to try again soon :smile:

3. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    There is a Korean taxi company now,but they dont use meters it is a flat rate. A bit ncheaper than the price the van drivers at the airport ask. The cars are relatively new

4. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I can`t remember the name of that company. But they are using a fleet of brand new Hyundai Sonata, which was brought to the country as parallel import from a surplus stock somewhere in the world.

The Hyundai Sonata is approximately twice as expensive a the typical 1,3 liter japanese sedan, which is used for a metered taxi. And hence this initiative seems to be targeted more against the tourism market than the local market.

Its fine, that tourists can now be hauled to and from the airport, or whereever they like to go, in these quete expensive cars. But it doesn`t really solve the problems with air pollution in Dumaguete or the clogged up roads :smile:

5. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    I also remember, part of their demise was also caused by 2 'shabu artists' (if the "polis" reports are to be believed). They gave one of the drivers, an extra hole in the head with a 38 paltik, on the way to Agan-an from the national highway. (Didn't even take his money.)
    Not long after that Mr Ken (a Japanese), moved the whole shabang back to Cebu City.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.