Dumaguete Info Search

Crime and Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by garbonzo, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hi,

Nice forum and glad I was lucky enough to find it. Haven't been to Dumaguete for a couple years but my wife and I have been discussing it as a likely retirement spot. She's been reading the local papers on the web and has been concerned with the amount of crime being reported. Is it really getting bad or is it media hype? We spend a lot of time on Bohol, and have Tagbilaran as a fall-back position, but Dumaguete seems to offer better services, and good diving as well. However Bohol doesn't seem to have much of a criminal problem. Anyway, we're curious what people living in Dumaguete think of the situation (assuming it really exists). Thanks!

2. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Crime in Dumaguete

Hi,
    Originally I am from Dumaguete, but now residing in California. Just came back
    from a 3 week vacation there, so far nothing "horrible" happened. I also read
    the local news in the internet about what's going on in the "City of Gentle People". Most of the murders were committed by the vigilantes who are targetting the drug addicts and pushers. But of course these things will likely happen to a growing city like Dumaguete. It says Dumaguete still the best place to live compare to some other bigger cities. But you have to be aware of your environment defending on where you are. My husband and I walked around at night for some fresh air but nobody bothered us. I love Dumaguete
    because of its peacefullness and cleanliness.

3. waterbaby74

waterbaby74 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Swany is right. Most of those who were murdered were either big time pushers or long time drug addicts who have been, for a long time, a menace to the society. Vigilantes have claimed responsibility for these crimes. And since the local government have not done enough to augment the drug problem, they decided to take action. This is all just hearsay but i believe it has a grain of truth...

4. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone. Guess you guys haven't been back home in a long time huh? Well what you are reading is true. Within the last two years, many of my friends and acquaintances were part of the list in the string of killings. It's true that the vigilantes are claiming responsibility for most of the killings, the sad thing is that most of the drug addicts and pushers and the like being killed are young people, people who aren't even out of school yet. With many people from other islands and cities enrolling in the universities, especially Silliman University, the government is having a hard time controlling peace and order. Before one could walk around downtown and you would know half the people you see in the street. Nowadays, there are so many unfamiliar faces. Most of the 'bad' stuff are brought in by these outsiders, i'm not saying that these outsiders are all bad but there are some that are. Some killings are also brought about by gang or fraternity wars.

Putting all these aside, i still believe that this is still a great place to live in. Except now, you just have to be a bit more cautious then back to when we were younger.

5. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That's pretty much true of the world in general. Actually, here in the U.S., the overall crime rates had been dropping since the late 1980's, though this year there has been a trend upward again. There are many factors, though a healthy drug trade seems to contribute to most of the problems. Hopefully, your local government can allocate more of its resources to stemming this problem in Dumaguete.

6. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Crime in dgte

Hello, just found this forum.

The reason for more crime in Dgte is because there are lots of people moving into the area, last time I was there, it seems that there are more people who are not Dumaguetians! ( lots of people do not know the town very well ) so much overcrowding of places, that used to be quiet, and squatters setting up all over the place, even to get to my Mum in laws place is more difficult! My sis in laws mobile was snatched in the early morning. but having said these things its still a nice place to live. the traffic is getting much worse, especially seems busier, Piapi to Airport road.

I think the police are okay there, mind you my wifes cousin is a senior officer so that helps!

I would say that in dgte and phils in general the corruption is getting worse particularly in Gov't Dept's, as in the case of the building that was burnt to the ground RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE FIRE STATION!!! there was a "pay off" to hide (burn) evidence. Maybe someone could fill in on the details of that scandal.

7. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey PhilT,

first of all, welcome to the forum!

Well you're right, the crime rate increased when many people started moving to Dumaguete, especially when most of them were students. When I go around now there are many faces I find unfamiliar considering I'm used to knowing everyone on the street. It's ridiculous how many tagalog speaking people are starting to reside in Dumaguete and insisting on speaking tagalog.

I remember that case, my aunt lives right across it. After the initial shock wore off I was laughing at the thought that the building right next to the fire station burned down COMPLETELY.

But even if there are still a lot of unknowns moving in, i still think my city is a great place to live in :smile:

8. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Dgte

Hello, and thanks for the welcome! Yes I agree with you on the population, I married in 1987, and since that time both myself and wife have noticed on our return ( we live in UK ) that things have changed a lot over that time.

what gets me is the way people are allowed to build ANYWHERE! blocking off what was once right of ways. Lanes that used to accept vehicles are now only big enough to walk through. the town authorities are not doing their jobs and should have a proper planning regime, follow up on these things and sort them out. BUT no matter! as long as the precious boulevard looks nice with lights at night,:rolleyes: (sorry) :smile:

I have a plot of land there near Bacong, but as for living there maybe when ny family grows up I can retire there, but not yet.

9. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live in one of the houses that's located along one of the streets overlooking the boulevard so I know what you mean about looking at the Boulevard with all its lights at night. It just speaks to me -- you know, home :smile:

Ooooh, Bacong? Beachfront I'm sure.. good for you :wink:

10. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12

Perhaps the legal owner blocked off the right of way because of possible past illegal encroachment of his private land carried over to the present ,which were made by unthinking locals in the vicinity as quick passage or cut through. Anyone buying property should take the ‘right of way’ business seriously as buying the property. Because problems may arise in later time and will end up in disaster when the established ‘right of way’ will suddenly disappear on the bases of other legitimate claims of private ownership of it .

In our experience buying the 2 adjacent properties and also bought the tiny third strip of land from few different owners in the neighborhood which made up the our right of way to the property .There's already established dirt tracks to the property which the locals used .However,in the past I have heard few long enduring court cases of legal fights of right of ways. I hate being caught up in that .If we aren’t so sure of the legality concerning the passage to the property ,then we would never buy the land .That was only for an added assurance to the deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.