Dumaguete Info Search

Crime and Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by garbonzo, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Is he a closet communist by any chance?

2. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    It's more criminal selling expired food items or not paying taxes to Dumaguete if the allegations are true. Maybe it is high time to boycott shops that are harming Dumaguete.

3. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I think you are right on this one. And we don`t have to go that far to find examples either. It is not more than a year or so ago, that a security guard was shot and killed during a robbery against one of the cell shops in Dumaguete city. Also about two years ago, a female student was killed in her home during a robbery, also in Dumaguete city.

"City of Gently People"?

Maybe more like City of Hype these days!

4. TodayinPhil

TodayinPhil Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    People will believe anything if you say it enough.
    That's why salesmen tells you everything at least 3 times--watch for this next time someone is trying to sell you somethin.

I looked at your past posts, and you are one sick feller. So you think Philippines is a hell-hole, ha? Why are you here, may I ask?

5. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    [QUOTE= Todayinphil; Where as most murders in the US are premeditated/gang-on-gang.

You are wrong, I've been in the U.S. long enough to know the violent crimes/murders, etc. here. Not most murders in the US are premeditated. Gang related, yes a lot of them and that's even worse compared to the Philippines, because they are in big groups. Murder is murder whether it's gang related or premeditated, people get killed because of robberies, etc. Not to mention, carjackers, they plant bullets into your head even if you give up the car, fortunately, some got lucky. We don't miss the evening news on TV, by the way. I rest my case here. :D

6. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    [QUOTE= Todayinphil; Where as most murders in the US are premeditated/gang-on-gang.

You are wrong, I've been in the U.S. long enough to know the violent crimes/murders, etc. here. Not most murders in the US are premeditated. Gang related, yes a lot of them and that's even worse compared to the Philippines, because they are in big groups. Murder is murder whether it's gang related or premeditated, people get killed because of robberies, etc. Not to mention, carjackers, they plant bullets into your head even if you give up your car, fortunately, some got lucky. We don't miss the evening news on TV, by the way. I rest my case here. :D

7. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Why am I here

I still have my fiancee and my daughter in the country thats why. My self, I am in Denmark most of the time to earn money and support our family.

I still love Dumaguete and the philippine people (well most of them), and I enjoy it very much, when I am "home" in Dumaguete. But I can honostly not find anything positive to say about the countrys politicians or its "system".

Can you?

8. TodayinPhil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with you 100%.
    The only thing going for it was cheap cost of living. Now that's gone too.

9. TodayinPhil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think you didn't stay in USA long enough, because your reading compehension is not good enough to understand my English. Or you are too sensitive to any sort of criticisms.

I said unplanned murders arising from robberies are more prevalent in Philippines than in the U.S.

I don't give a baboy's @ss if gangs kill gangs. Good for them.

But I don't like the fact that I could be killed by a robber who came into my house for a 5,000peso cellfone.

In the U.S. people don't kill for 5,000pesos on regular basis. It's just not worth the robber's time and effort. Here, it does occur, regularly and frequently.

Even the robbers in the U.S. are richer than their counterparts in the Phil. Which makes me fear Filipino robbers more.

Desperate people do crazy things.

10. loftyone

loftyone DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    In my view the positives of living in Dumaguete far outweigh the negatives but there has to be room for debate about all aspects of living there, not just the blinkered "city of gentle people" view.

As far as street crime goes, I feel a lot safer walking the streets of Dumaguete at night than I do in parts of Perth. Where I live in the Philippines, there is a strong sense of community. Foreigners who treat the locals with respect and friendship are welcomed and their property and family members are protected.

I believe the epidemic of crystal meth, shabu, speed, ice or whatever you want to call it is a major contributor to street crime in the countries I have visited recently (Phils, Australia, Thailand, New Zealand). Young men, fired up on this stuff become very aggressive and when it is combined with alcohol they know no fear. Common assaults, bag snatching, road rage and burglaries are increasing everywhere due to this stuff.

I think I may have recommended it on another thread but if you want to understand the politics of corruption in the Philippines read Stirling Seagrave's excellent book "The Marcos Dynasty".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.