Dumaguete Info Search


Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

⌛ Crime and Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by garbonzo, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TodayinPhil

    TodayinPhil Guest Guest User

    Do you really need to read a book to understand corruption?

    One lives and breathes corruption everyday here in Philippines.
     
  2. tubigboy

    tubigboy DI Forum Adept

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    5
    Loftyone, I think you are right on target with the shabu/ice being a major factor in street crime.

    I think, I will read that book 'The Marcos Dynasty" Thanks!
     
  3. loftyone

    loftyone DI Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    2
    TodayinPhil

    I spent 3 years living in the Phils before I read this book and I wished I had read it earlier. It helped me understand the history and political culture of the place and the people.

    I think the saying is "those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it" and it appears to me that the corruption in the Phils is being passed down from one generation to the next with no lessons learnt.
     
  4. TodayinPhil

    TodayinPhil Guest Guest User

    Does the book just explain why Philippines is corrupt the way it is, or does it have some info usuful in everyday life for expats?
    You know, the books in Philippines are way overpriced....so I would like to know beforehand whether the book will be worth buying.
     
  5. loftyone

    loftyone DI Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    2
    It's a history book. There isn't a list of tips for expats on how to deal the everday issues. But it does explain why things are like they are.
     
  6. tubigboy

    tubigboy DI Forum Adept

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    5
    I went to the National bookstore here in Makati and they said that they do not carry that book anymore. They suggested i get it off the internet. That is what I will do but, i will have it sent to my house in Guam and pick it up when I go back there.
     
  7. loftyone

    loftyone DI Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    2
    I paid $2 for it on ebay (plus $6 postage)
     
  8. tubigboy

    tubigboy DI Forum Adept

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    5
    Speaking of crime, if I bought the book on ebay or any book on ebay and tried to bring the book into the Philippines, I would have to pay a large tariff to customs before they will release it to me. I wonder if it is at the library at Silliman or one of the other schools?
     
  9. OP
    OP
    garbonzo

    garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2006
    Messages:
    956
    Likes Received:
    50
    Still speaking of crime..How is it on Guam?...Been toying with the idea of working there...may or may not proceed...a contractor at Andersen that I know well has a few vacancies...I noticed the houses there are often security grilled...probably not for decoration?
     
  10. tubigboy

    tubigboy DI Forum Adept

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    5
    yes, Guam is great! My wife and I go back every 3 months. I go for business and she goes to see her old friends. Guam is ramping up for a large amount of military construction work. Somewhere around 12 billion dollars worth. Leighton Construction out of Australia set up an office there about 8 months ago. Its about 3.5 hours flight from Manila.

    The crime rate is like any other place in the States. Depends upon where you live on the island.

    I would encourage you to go there and work. Great diving there too.

    I don't miss the typhoons though. We went through two super typhoons. One of them the wind was recorded up to 220 mph and broke the guage up at Andersen.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.