Dumaguete Info Search

Dgte Rabies Article in Today's Negros Chronicle

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by PatO, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Rabies Article in Negros Chronicle today. “More than 7,000 dogs or 70% of the canine population of the city have received their anti-rabies vaccine but 2,000 others have yet to be made free of the dreaded virus.
    City Veterinarian Dr. Baby Socorro hopes that before the year ends the entire 9,200 dog population shall have been vaccinated against rabies. She also reported that there have been no incidents of attacks by rabies-infected dogs.
    The number of people infected with rabies primarily due to dog bites have dropped sharply. Dozens of people have already died in the past due to the rabies virus introduced into the body not only by dogs but even other animals through biting. Most of the victims whose brains have been the main target of the rabies virus also display dog-like behavior before they die.
    Meanwhile, the City Veterinarian is currently implementing the execution of hundreds of stray and sickly dogs to spare the public from any diseases and possible attacks.”
    In the 2nd paragraph I think the article meant to say, “that there have been no recent incidents, given the article followed about deaths in the past.

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    9,200 dogs?:confused: Do the census takers also do a dog count? :D

3. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Amazing isn't it. Also, if 7,000 dogs are 70%, that would make it 10,000 dogs, not 9,200, but who cares about another 800 stray dogs running around (I think they are the ones on my street). I think eliminating sickly stray dogs, in this case, is mandatory. Reading Broadside's experience, having to go through the rabies virus treatment is horrible.

4. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    ok, 7000 dogs vaccinated....let's say she was able to complete this in the past year, 365 days of straight steady work without a day off or any public holidays.

that's 19 dogs a day. 8 hour workday i'm assuming. That's 2.3 dogs per hour or one every 26 minutes. And, that doesn't even include the time to round up all these stray dogs...

She's one busy busy veterinarian.....

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    She must use a blow gun. :D

[​IMG]

6. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    that's too funny...I hadn't thought of that!

7. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Years ago when I was working in Miri, Sarawak that's exactly what they used. They brought the Eban Tribesmen in at night to hunt the strays using blow guns. The stuff on the end of the darts wasn't anti rabies vaccine. Seemed to work temporarily reducing the stray population.

In the last year I saw a mass production inoculation of dogs at the school across from the park downtown. By the looks of it they took care of a couple hundred dogs in one day.

8. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Ran over a bario terrier yesterday,:eek: one less, guess it's already been eaten by now though.:confused:

9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hope she didn't suck instead. :D

10. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    If she did suck, that would 'really suck', I'd imagine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.