Dumaguete Info Search

Did somebody get shot?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Marky, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    to centzbanaag

Are you the same person I went to college with a few years back? This is Sheelah by the way:smile:

2. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my most heartfelt condolences. I was actually considering moving to this city. Now I am not so sure anymore.

3. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    xm65, if you are not really sure don't do it. But did you read centzbanaag's comment, I quote, "despite this, I still say Dumaguete is much safer than other places". I agree with her/him 100%, because she/he is right. Dumaguete is a growing city and a lot of people from all over the Philippines (including the expats) have moved there to be permanent residents of Dumaguete. Why they chosed Dumaguete, that's because of it's uniqueness to attract visitors and the beauty and ambience of the city itself. By the way, crime is everywhere, don't you know that? But compared to other cities in the Philippines, Dumaguete still comes out much safer to live than those places like Cebu, Manila, Davao, and more. :D

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I don't know why people make decisions from what they have read of some opinions over the internet .Somehow it makes fair picture making judgements base from actual experiences . Dumaguete isn't for all.If they think it's like Iraq ,with massacres and murders everywhere ,a bloody war zone , then let it be. After all the more they are in dgte buying properties,the more they raise the prices , local people are pushed out and that makes unfavorable reality to most local pinoys and is happening now.

Best advise is scare the hell of them away,ok...feeling better now?

5. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Swany, your so very right. I was just a bit shocked at comming on these boards and reading about a couple of shootings and several stabbings, and gang violence. I was not expecting that.

Newt, sorry, I dont know you at all. However, must say, you seem so negative and bitter.

I made no decisions, on any opinions. Your sarcasm is really out of place.
    I am simply trying to get information on several places. This is one of them.
    My son and I are simply looking for a nice palce to live. safe, clean, low crime. A place with good education, and housing.

6. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    But the murder of centzbanaag's niece was not an opinion. This puts a very personal face on the problem of crime in Dumaguete. I can understand xm65's trepidation after reading this poignant account (I am sorry centzbanaag).

pickled_newt isn't bitter. I just think she loves her town and doesn't want people to make decisions based on a few message board threads. There are many beautiful things in Dumaguete, and they need to be experienced first-hand.

7. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Indeed, Kuya, the things I mentioned were not opinions. They were acts of violence upon another person. I was so very surprised, becuase I had heard and read, that this city was very clean, safe, friendly. So these acts did catch me of gaurd. Of course crime and violence are everywhere. I do understand that. My son and I live in Los angeles. We have plenty of crime here. We seek something better.

We do plan to visit before we make our choice of where to live. We are just trying to get some information on where to go visit before we get to the phils.

8. OP
    OP
    Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't sweat it xm65, Dumaguete is as safe and peaceful as any place you're going to find on planet Earth.

Stuff happens sometimes though.

9. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes, I am starting to hear from people on this board.

10. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    XM65,

There is no iron clad guarantee in this world about personal safety. Even the most careful people can be in the wrong time, at the wrong place and there are no perfectly, non-violent towns. The same factors that you use to help you have a safe life in LA are used here. Where do you live, how do you conduct yourself, where are you at certain times of the night, what areas do you frequent? No different survival rules, just a different place.

I know you are doing some early research before you take a trip to the Philippines and I think everyone has done the same thing. Don't let one tragic loss of life spoil your opinion of at least visiting. I am a retired American and will be moving to Dumaguete for good next month. I feel it is a safe and friendly area. Wouldn't move there if I didn't feel this way. Come check it out, look around, ask questions, meet people, make your own decisions. Good luck. I think you will find Dumaguete a great place.

Chi Town

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.