Dumaguete Info Search

Distance from Dauin to Bais

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by tipmart87, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipmart87

tipmart87 DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm just looking at a map of the area and I am curious as to how long it will take us to get from the El dorado resort in Dauin to the boats in Bais which will take us for the Dolphin watching.

I'm assuming that the earlier you get there the better. What is a good time to arrive in Bais

Do you need to book in advance? Or can you just turn up on the morning and pay?

Will you get a better deal if you ask around the locals early in the morning or is is true that the city run all the operations?

Has anyone any recommendations for someone to go with that offers a better deal?

As we are staying in a resort and unable to cook anything, is it better for us to get on a trip where they supply you with a picnic?

While I have enjoyed looking at all the photos of the Dolphins, it is listed as a Dolphin and whale watching trip, has anyone actually seen a whale?

Thank you for any help

M & D

2. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I didnt see any whales but, I had a whale of a time! Sorry, just joking!

How long are you planning on staying?

3. OP
    OP
    tipmart87

tipmart87 DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Originally we had booked for 5 nights, that has now been increased to 7. Rhoody said he would kindly pick up the tab for the other two nights if I buy him a beer. Thought that was quite a good deal!!! :p

4. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Great deal!

I went Whale watching in Hawaii and Boston. Its amazing seeing up close how really big the whales are. Dolphins are excellent to watch too. If you get any pics, please post them on the site! I hope you have a great time!

5. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Booking of dolphin watching trip

Hi Tipmart87

You need to book a dolphin watching trip in Bais in advance. They only have two boats and they are often occupied. You also need to book the entire boat, which will then take up to appr. 15 people. It is cheaper therefore, if you can gather a group of people, who like to go on this trip together.

Booking can be done at the turist office in Bais or through many different travel agents or resorts in Dumaguete or Dauin, who will then call the turist office in Bais. If booking through a travel agent or resort, they will usually arrange transport to Bais and food for lunch as well. Needless to say, you need to pay extra for this service.

Transport from Dauin to Bais will take approx. 1 h and 15-30 min with a private vehicle and more, if you go by public transport. In the latter case you will need to take a bus or jeepney to Dumaguete, then another bus or jeepney to Bais, and then finally a tricycle the last 3-4 km to the departure point of the boat.

Please be aware that trips are only made in the season and not year-round. They should start up sometimes in the beginning of march, but its a good idea to call them yourself and get updated information about this. Or just ask at the resort / travel agent.

6. fundiver198

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Talaba / oysters

By the way, Bais is actually worth a visit, even if you decide to not go on the whale watching trip.

Just the trip going there is interesting, at least if you are not to familiar with how the countryside looks in the Philippines. You will pass a number of small villages on the way and see both rice fields and sugarcane fields. It is really farm country up there.

The bay, where the dolphin watching trips depart from, is also attractive in itself, as it features a nice mangrove forest. Moreover, you can pick up a large sack of freshly harvested talaba / oysters for around 150 peso, bring it home to the resort, and cook it on the beach over an open fire in the evening.

I am sure you can find some staff members, who will love to help you cook the talaba as well as eat them :smile:

One word of warning though: If you eat to many, your stomach might begin to act in a quite funny way. So best to share with others :p

7. OP
    OP
    tipmart87

tipmart87 DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Many thanks

for all the information.

Sounds like a bit of planning is needed to organise one of these trips. Both of us would definately like to go on a trip to see the dolphins/whales but how far in advance is it wise to book? Obviously you want good weather for the trip so it does not appear to make myuch sense if you book it weeks in advance, but with only two boats it's probably best not to leave it until the last minute. Don't want to turn up with a big picnic and find all the boats full up.

Probably have to leave our resort at 4am to get there at 6am. I'll contact them and see what they recommend

Bais Dolphin Watching - Dumaguete Outdoors

Thanks again for all the info

M & D

8. fundiver198

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Weather

As for the weather, it is usually very stable in the season, where these trips are made, so no need to worry about that. That is why it is "the season" anyway :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.