Dumaguete Info Search

Diving around Dumaquete

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by dbowen0849@yahoo.com, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbowen0849@yahoo.com

dbowen0849@yahoo.com One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    2 of us are coming in January to dive Apo, Sumilon, Siquijor, and any other interesting diving in the area. Any help on places to stay, how to dive these 3 islands(all from Dumaquete..go to each island...etc). It looks like we'll have 6 days to dive in Dumaquete but can change it to fit the diving. We like to do 3-4 dives a day and have our own gear, etc....just need weights and air.

2. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There are several dive resorts in the aria of Dauin, who can help you out.
    Like El Dorado and Atlantis and 2 or three more look at google and you will find them what they can offer and the prices.
    That is the most simple way and when you like to have more information about a specific resors ask here.

Greetings J.Diver

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    There are many options. All Budget related. Mostly you can say what you pay is what you get ! Some DS offer only APO, It is also cheaper when you prebook the daytrips to the Islands(and name them in the booking), then they can't wind out that there are not enough people (mostly minimum 4).
    The diverates in the good diveshops are US30+.
    Good diveshops also have expierienced guides who go to each spot frequently, so they know them very good. What is a big benefit If you are into Makro. cause they find them on the spot.
    The smaller Shops go to places only occationally so their DM's are not so familiar with the creatures. But most of the time you will still enjoy the diving with them.
    In January it's also possible that the wind cancells a trip to Siquijor from Dumaguete, cause there is no place to hide. On Apo is always on calm side. Siquijor is to big to drive around...

Hope this helps a bit. just ask all you want, we are always happy to help

cheers

Rhoody

4. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd highly recommend you just focus on APO....if you have the budget although Sumilon is nice too. I did get hit by some wicked currents though in Sumilon around jan-Feb. Dauins reef is quite small but pleasant and it certainly ranks as the cheapest diving in the area as it's a shore dive from the mainland. You can actually stay on Apo in some modest rooms and I understand they are quite cheap. It might be a bit boring at night because they apparently shut the electricity off at night...I'll leave someone else to confirm that. This might be a good option for you given your agressive dive schedule as the cost of boat transportation and time wasted getting there and back every day could be significant. i always like to know how much money people want to spend also because cost is always a factor. By the way, 4 dives a day sounds like you're pushing it. Your as good as dead on APO if you run afoul of limits. You would be lucky to get into a decomp in Cebu City in 6 hours. I'd recommend 3 days in Apo and ignore the rest cause it's hard to beat it. Then catch a ferry to the island of Bohol (2 hours) then get a van/taxi to take you to Alona Beach on Panglao Island (just off the coast of Bohol-connected by bridge)) for some more diving.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Apo Island has 4 -6 hours electricity in the evening, the resorts have generator. I will not reccomend you to skip all the rest, because it comes down to what you wanna see. I can show you in 100 square-meters of Sand more special critters then you will see in 3 days on Apo Island.
    http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/diving-dive-sites/one-dives-949.html?highlight=one+of+that+dives

four dives per days is quite a lot, but can be conducted very safe. If you in good shape, don't party too much in the evening stay hydrated and plan your dives proprly, no problem. Hope to see around in January and enjoy the time here in Dumagete

cheers

Rhoody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.