Dumaguete Info Search

Do you want Limkaichong to sit as Congressman?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by echir, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    It may be that a "democracy" is not best suited for the Filipino, however, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
    Shifting to a parlimentary system will not change the oligarchy, will not reduce corruption, will not improve the economy or reduce coups.
    The one thing it will guarantee is GMA staying in power beyond her current term.
    Regardless which form of government the people of the Philippines choose, they will need to deal with current problems in the power base first.
    Tony Abaya has published some interesting ideas.
    whattodo

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That's exactly the kind of person I was talking about, Timn8tr. If only it were a simple thing to put people like Mr. Abaya into office for a term. :(

3. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    There are plenty of redeeming qualities about Limkaichong, though.

4. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I still want her to contribute to the development of the province but maybe not in the way where she is right now. If I have my way I would like to see an Ayala mall here and the Dumaguete Business Park should be at par, if not better, than the business parks and real estate developments in Manila.

5. imhirphil

imhirphil Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think you could possibly have your way, if you hire Yabs as your campaign manager.

6. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Let's hope we will not get oppressors anymore who just cover up the wrongs done because they don't want their mistakes seen by the public.

7. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    This thread just got a lean cut as well...

Nothing wrong witha a political debate... As long as it is a political debate.

Once we start dragging personal attacks, family tragedies and language not suited for this website in to it - the constructive part of a political debate goes away.

I will have Outcast read through this thread as well, he might chop more.

On a lighter and more positive note, I just got a nasty PM from imhirphil cursing at me for removing his slander and nasty personal attacks - So at least we wont see more to that nick in near future :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Politics... GMA cannot stay after 2010... She cannot run again as president because her term is finished..Shifting to parliamentary system will not also change the government...That is right TIMN8TER....Damned Politics... I hate politics....Many people talk about corruption but until now corruption has not stopped...Who among who of the politicians have tried saying that i want to stop corruption. No one? Who dares to talk about it? No one? Why? Because they themselves do this. They themselves want it.......They want MONEY? Sometimes these politicians play around. They use media as the tool and also for some others which are already very visible in our ears and eyes...Believe me media can be bought...
    I dont know anymore... troubles can lead to more troubles... Look at Rizal... Many Filipinos has died already for their country yet no one understands? Even the Politicians? For the Politicians, when they die they will be honored with 24 gun salute because they did great for their country? What is it that they did? Do they want to be remembered as Heroes of the country or somebody else? I hope these goes into their minds? Peace!!!

9. Rev. Robinson

Rev. Robinson DI Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    “When the students are ready a teacher will come.”

his is a good thread. Politics and religion mention in the same thread. Here we are talking about two volatile topics that always create pros and cons; I like it. But I promised when I came on the forum that I will not preach, so I will talk about politics.

When I was in my early twenties I had a chance to be a campaign manager for one of my closest friends whom was running for city councilman. He ran on the platform of cleaning up corruption in the government, a new face to get rid of an old problem and better education for our children.

During his campaign his car was vandalized, he had threats on his life, and our headquarters was trashed twice, with a message of “IT IS NOT YOUR TIME,” and “QUIT WHILE YOU CAN”. We stayed in the race and finished second in 1972.

Four other times he ran for the same office and lost each time, The corruption in the city was too strong and the incumbent had too many connection and too much money. He was determined to win and change things for the better and he knew he had what it took to make a different. But the city was not ready to follow a young man with a utopia dream and no experience or power to back him up. In order for him to win, he would have to get down in the dirt and get dirty with the good old boys, and make some deals that would make him as corrupt as those that he apposed. To make a long story short, he left the city and practice law away from home, came back home and practice law and now he is the chief of staff for the city mayor, helping to make a positive change for the city.

He never wavered from his original concept, and he did not give in to the good old boys. The city was not ready for him back in 1972, but they are more than ready for him today. “When the students are ready a teacher will come.” When the people are ready, corruption will end as well. It is up to the people to make a change in themselves first, before government will change, no matter what political system is in place, it is up to the people to make a difference.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Every so often a leader comes along that has the ability to create hope and effect positive change. Another Rizal or Magsaysay will appear eventually.
    Yes, the situation in the Philippines has developed over a very long period of time and is not going to go away overnight. I try to remain positive though as long as we are able to openly discuss things. It's when those in power instill so much fear or ambivilence in the populace they stop speaking out that hope fades.
    Keep up the conversation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.