Dumaguete Info Search

Do you want Limkaichong to sit as Congressman?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by echir, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. averatec3200

averatec3200 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Back to the Topic... I say YES

The first district needs a new leader. The Paras's had been in the first district for 21 years and yet it is only bringing underdevelopment on the district.

Compare this... back in 1986, Guihulngan has a considerable status in the province, second only to Dumaguete. They are the first town on the province on having a telephone service, outside that of Dumaguete. Today, even Bayawan surpassed the economic activity of Guihulngan.

For the past 21 years, investment was poor, law and order had not significantly improved, especially on the hinterland areas.

If Limkaichong, could bring the needed investment that the district badly needs, then we should support her, regardless if she is a daughter of a Chinese tycoon. Let us stop the political bickering and start working for development.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I wish money wasn't such a big factor in politics and the "playing field" was level for all to have an opportunity to serve. At the same time, just because someone is rich doesn't mean they can't do the right thing for the people. Perhaps those in the 1st District could get to know their new representative and have a meaningful dialog with her. Let her know what your concerns are and keep letting her know.

3. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    So true, now if we could have that happen here in the states, then maybe we could be a model for other democracies. It does take a great deal of courage, and it also takes a lack of apathy in the population. I wonder if apathy in the population may be the real problem with a country like the Philippines because people have no real vested interest?

4. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Well Tom, I may get myself into trouble here spouting my opinions but here goes.
    I don't think a good corelation can be made between Philippine and American politics. Very different cultures and very different histories.
    I'm not sure it's all about apathy here in the States although I'm sure it's a part. Mostly, I think it's that we're accustomed to getting things instantly and in sound bites. We then combine that with preconceived beliefs about how we want to view things and cast our votes that way. It's such a "hurry-up" society here. Hurry up and go to work, hurry up and pick up the kids, hurry up and fix dinner, etc.. Most people just don't take the time to investigate both sides of an issue and try to formulate an opinion.
    The biggest problem I saw in the last Presidential election were choices being made out of fear rather than rational. In 2004, the terrorists won because the attack on 9/11 created fear in the populace that affected the way we choose to live which is exactly what they wanted.
    I find the Philippine/American relationship a perfect example of what happens when a more powerful country assumes it has all the right answers and can simply "transplant" it's culture and form of government into another society.
    In Philippine politics you have Manila, and then you have everyone else. It may be less a matter of apathy than a matter of feeling empowered. They care but many believe nothing will ever change so what's the use in trying. The last round of elections was enough to scare off a lot a viable candidates. How many deaths were there?

• Like Like x 1
  5. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I agree with you Tim on all that you've said about the states, and that hurry up lifestyle is why people like you and I and many others want a home in the Philippines, because we tire of this type of life. I do still believe apathy plays a bigger part than people realize though, and the simple reason for that is that we Americans are not invested, and won't be until either the draft returns or a form of a 2 year national service is implemented. Then you'll see a sudden change in peoples invovlement, and in the long run, national service of some type, would actually help the states. I think the same can be said for the Philippines, in that, national service of some type would bring about positive change and tune people in to the country in a more positive way, again, in the long run.

6. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I see your point and wonder if part of that isn't the need for a sense of national identity. We, as Americans, can point to our history (however glamourized we may make it) and talk about fighting for our independence, freedom, self-determination, self-reliance, Washington, Lincoln, ad nauseum.
    Speaking to my brother-in-law he asks "What is a Filipino?". Perhaps if the Philippines had, after defeating the Spanish, gained their independence and struggled to define their national identity things would be a lot different now. I know that's pure speculation and not the sort of thing any historian would talk about but it does make me wonder.

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If that was the case, R.P would be an islamic state now, and we would not be chatting now.
    point being, well you know the rest of the story

8. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I second the motion. The reason why some people are resorting to this forum is that they are badly hurt and violated in the past. Imagine seeing violators of human rights and people who oppressed you in the past taking the reins of the government. Now that's really injustice. Some people would just gnash their teeth and shake their heads in dismay.

And it seems they could not get a good deal having a wonderful dialog with these people because they know that these people just hide things from the public eyes.

I wish people would just have this thing called I-N-T-E-G-R-I-T-Y. As Billy Joel said in his song: "Honesty is such a lonely word".

Here in this country the crooked are rewarded and violators of the law are given good positions in the government.

9. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    A very reasonable assumption, I know. I guess I'm hoping that, starting with this generation, the Philippine people will be able to define their own identity and culture and that this will result in further unity and national pride.

There is no doubt about that. There have been opportunities for huge changes in the last 60 years but it seems every time things start looking good there's some tragedy that halts that change.
    It was assumed following WWII the enemy collaborators would be punished or exiled or at least not allowed to remain in power but that didn't happen. It was assumed Magsaysay was going to bring positive change but he died in a plane crash. It was assumed Marcos would widen the middle class and provide assistance and opportunity to the poor but he became completely corrupt and power mad.
    The result is what we see today and what you have described above. This is what I was referring to as the loss of empowerment that must be felt by many Filipinos.
    I'm so thankful for the Internet and the possibilities it presents, especially for free speech and education.

10. jdewey

jdewey One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NDF hits Josy for ‘corruption'

The Leonardo Panaligan Command of the National Democratic Front yesterday linked Rep. Jocelyn Limkaichong (Neg. Or., 1 st district) to the efforts to terrorize the peasant movement, allegedly using government coffers and corrupt police and military officials.

In a statement sent through mail, the NDF-Negros, claimed that after barely few months in Congress, Limkaichong has intensified her repression and oppression campaigns in her district, to persecute her political rivals.

The NDF called that Limkaichong, as well as Mayor

Complete story here.

When there's smoke, there's fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.