Dumaguete Info Search

dog sh*t in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by whtrahonky, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    If you need someone to tell you why to stay here, then your in the wrong place. If your hyper critical and unable to adjust to local conditions what can I say. You always have a choice. move.

My positives:
    cheap beer that tastes ok
    pretty women who hold traditional values
    tropoical climate
    English language spoken freely
    good friends
    excellent food
    clear water and nice coral
    picturesque landscapes
    Good drinking water available cheap
    freedom from an information gathering society
    I can turn up my stereo and no one bitches
    the police can be bought
    the good filipino friends I have made
    cost of living is low
    I can fly to Manila for $30.00
    I can ride my motorcycle on roads with beautiful scenery
    I can buy antibiotics over the counter
    I have high speed internet, (sometimes)
    I can play loud music with friends at Devlins for free
    I can go to Siaton and have no cell phone service, sit on a pristine coral pebble beach with my wife and watch the surf pound the rocks.

Now granted all these things are subjective, but for me, life is good.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I guess it's I typo... should say positives on LEAVING here..

3. OP
    OP
    whtrahonky

whtrahonky DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    message lost

RHB, it seems like I have seen this before someone make a post and its gets off course. I asked why there was so much dog sh*t everwhere, and i'm told to get out of the country. Just because there is something you don't like don't run away from it either make it better or adjust. You made some very interesting positives all of which I was aware of. Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and you are entitled to yours. You are right if I want to leave all I have to do is buy a ticket, but that wasn't my original question. I thought maybe like India it has a sacred cow nowone can kill, that maybe the Philippines had a sacred dog, it is free to roam around and breed and sh*t everwhere it wants to. Any way go to Devlins get drunk with your friends, play loud music, have a smoke and ride your bike off into the sunset. Who could ask for more.

4. josephen

josephen DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It is a pity it is a little bit off-topic, but do not forget topic starter's last sentence. So it is still that 'sh*t' and the 'positives'.

I personally think that the positive, and the ONLY positive about living in PH is enjoying/spending the hard earned dollars or euros in PH than in the country where it is earned.

Spend them all,
    Josephen

5. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Hi Josephen, I did know you preferred to stay in my beloved country rather than coming back for good to Bacong.
    But that you even preferred the cold temp there at the moment you never told me.
    You will get a hard time with hubby Columbo when he has the finances to move to here :D See you again in April/May

On topic: the dogshit is the least I'm worried about here. Correct....where don't you find it in the 'civilized' world ? Comon ! Yea Singapore...but that's certainly not my favourite place. Tooooo clean , too many DONT's!
    Even late at night at the boulevard I never have a problem :D :rolleyes: "to step beside dogshit" I mean here of course ! Oh....sh*t (:wink: )...I forgot...once my GF complained about the odour when I came back home. However......she actually never told me if it was the beer she smelled or that little brown sticky 'chewing gum' under my shoesole. Anyhow, I did'nt smell it !

6. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Most rich filipino's would not consider a lot of locations that westerners chose to live. Their choice Makati, eastwood, forbes, or other up market manila locations, Tagaytay, baguio, Cebu. I talk to them they can not understand the attraction when I say some of the spots that some foreigners pick. some go down to dumaguete for a holiday because there are rich filipino's that like diving and the outdoor life, but not many would relocate there I think.

7. ronin

ronin DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Back on topic:

For whatever its worth....i stepped in dog poo this morning. it isn't an isolated case in dumaguete; these d*mn dogs are everywhere! i personally can't wait to return.

You can always see the negatives in anywhere you live, but after 24 years of army life you get used to finding positives where ever you drop your gear. dumaguete is a paradise compared to some of the choice garden spots i've been. my advice, quit worrying about the dog poo and start enjoying life with your asawa...some of us are still separated from them and would walk thru dog poo all day to enjoy life with their honeykos. you're in a beautiful place with your loved one; ENJOY IT!

Lastly I say....i think this kinda boils down to what some people find acceptable and not acceptable and some of that is related to your experiences. (NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE PARTICULAR) I've travelled quite a bit in my life and lived/worked in tough conditions. I know that i can survive and thrive in any environment (even while being shot at); dumaguete despite its faults is a wonderful little city with more than enough infrastructure, entertainment and commerce to keep me happy. I can't say EVERYONE though could be happy there without certain "necessities". Again, i think its all based on what we expect or "think" we require. dog poo is an inconvenience....security, food and water are requirements. makes me think of maslow's hiearchy of need lol.....anyway; Good day!

ronin

8. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Now thats a positive thinking! :smile:

9. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Well said Ronin. Life's indeed too short to be upset by such little things. I have become quite adept in avoiding the poo, people here don't clean up after their dogs so if one isn't careful (kaboom!) you step on one. Isn't it funny how one would appear to "limp" right after stepping on poo? :D

10. josephen

josephen DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Sorry, do we know each other? I think you have mistaken me of "JosePHINE" from Co...??? Is wittebeer Columbo? Sorry!

Yes, the JosePHEN here loves the winters. I usually get sick in the summers. In winters I enjoy walking with a group under rain, hail and snow. And the next target is to walk across the Wadden Sea (maybe September when water is not that cold).

It rained non-stop here today. A pity I was not able to walk under the rain during the 30-minute luchbreak!

Off-topic,
    JosePHEN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.