Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete - Nightlife

Discussion in '☋ Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment ☋' started by Rhoody, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Precisely,
    Rock and roll is an attitude, and the blues is a feeling, not a score.
    Elmore James knew one lick on a guitar, he varied it and played it at different tempos, but the same lick. It is the most played blues lick of all time, and Elmore is a legend.

When Janis Joplin ditched Big Brother and the Holding Company (at the request of her studio), they were replaced with better trained studio musicians. The music, the message, suffered. The dirty unpolished road house sound vanished. You have to pay your dues. live it and love it.

2. Melvin Tinklehopper

Melvin Tinklehopper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to hang with Janis, Sunshine, Nick G. and Kenai in North Beach back in the late 60's early 70's.

Boy, those were the days.

3. maja

maja DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi All,
    were would you dance in dumaguete? why not? hayahay? honeycomb? tried them and got dissapointed the music is not even disco... the crowd in why not is 12-21.. n the totyals go to hayahay .. honeycomb wud b the place for the old timers /widow/divorced/call it what you like ..
    hope there's some businessminded people who can open up a discotheque for the 18 -100 yrs old .. and let the music play say's Barry White ..

4. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0

There are business-orientated people here, thats why there is no place like that, cause there is no market for that in Dumaguete. Actually Coco Amigos is doing quite good on several days (I think fridays) with that style of music, but:

It's a bit funny that you mention Barry White, He is exactly the music-style they do play in Honeycomb, and it Music for the old timers, widows, divorced and lonely hearts... Barry White was famous 30 years ago, in the 70th, tried a comeback in the late 90th and died 2003. Don't get me wrong, his arrangements influenced a lot of musicians in the 70th, but even at that time not the youth, he was famous for the 25+ generation. and now 30 years later it is the lonely hearts and widow generation of Honeycomb

Rhoody

5. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Barry White, the deepest voice in the disco pop genre, gotta like em, but dated, like all the music inthe philippines in my opinion. I think they ar all stuck in the 70's and 80's. ( especially here in the provinces) disco everyhere, and ballads by dated divas is all you hear at karaoke lounges. Celene, Mariah, Whitney, yikes.

Now the college radio jocks do play some alternative, but too it is old stuff by Creed, Red Hot Chili peppers (great band actually). Also it seems as hip hop has penetrated here, oh well. There is a a weekly jazz show on Greyhound, but nothing near cutting edge, but that is ok, it is a change from, Ben Folds Five, and the plethora of filipino boy bands trying to be the Backstreet Boys.

No market? Well I am not totally convinced, but to make the most money you have to appeal to the broadest posssible audience.

The Whynot while a disco, has played the same tracks for the last two years. I would like to see an alternative Disco downtown, with current Trance, Drum and base, and House. I think it would blow the people away.

Now there is nothing wrong with retro, but how about something different.

Boz Skaggs, George Thorogood, or Dave Matthews, even classic rock like Chuck Berry. As long as it rocks.

I guess I did not answer any questions, just a rant. sorry.

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Doesn't matter RHB, an interesting read ,it will serve as better insight ,cheers.

7. Devlin

Devlin DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi this is Andrew from Devlin's want to do that also Barry white your my everything dod dod dood dod

8. Devlin

Devlin DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes heard it trance and all that space stuff and its ok sometimes . but I left space with david boey ground control to major tom 1969 i think . cant wait to meet you .

9. Devlin

Devlin DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Melvin, are you really that good looking?

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hello Andrew, how the devlin are you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.