Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete - Nightlife

Discussion in '☋ Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment ☋' started by Rhoody, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    No, he is a white 60 year old foreigner living in Valencia.:D

2. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    wev'e met, at least three times,

3. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Nightlife in Dumaguete

Well Rhody, it seems you know all the main places in Dumaguete already, so why ask?

I quite enjoy playing billard in Why Not. They have a new german style bar now also, where the billard is even better and less busy. But you have to enjure some very old style german music as well (Marcus, what were you thinking, when you made up this concept??????).

I also like dining and listining to the occational liveband at Hayahay or to eat and drink at Coco Amigos.

Finally Fantasy has become quite a nice place after they completed a new and second bar. Sure its not so "entertaining" here as the similar bars in Cebu or Manila, as most of the customers come only to look and not to bring home. Which is officially not allowed anyway, but I did see a handfull of US Navy folks not leaving the place alone recently :-) Anyway does it really matter, that there is not a lot of prostitution going on in Fantasy? One could see this as an advantage also, depending on the point of view!

If the - admitted - limited selection of places to go out in Dumaguete gets to boring, then why not (joke joke) make a weekend trip to Cebu, where they have big discos, bars with barfine, if thats what you`re after, and much better live bands? Or to Manila for that matter. Its only a 1 hour, 1.800 peso pr. way flight anyway.

Or look at it this way: If you live in Cebu or Manila you have to stay all the time in a horrible polluted and trafficed city without ever seing the sea, the forest or anything green.

If you live in most other places in the Filippines, you get plenty of sea and forest, but absolutly nothing else. Not even a restaurant or a decent bar, and you can only buy the simplest of stuff like rice, fish or some very cheap slippers.

Dumaguete is actually a nice in between, where you can get most of the things you need or like, and still stay near the sea and forest. The few things, you can´t get, like great live music, you just have to go to Manila or Cebu for occationally then.

I still think "city of the gentle people" is a great place all in all.

4. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Hehe, that is exactly th point, everybody knows the "main-places" as there are only 3 or 4, that's why I was asking.
    As you can see the thread is a few month old, since I started it I moved to Dumaguete and discovered some nice places, with good food cheap drinks and occationally good life-music. As I got not many answers on my initial question, I will also keep this places for myself, to avoid having this typical CoCo-WhtNot-AnabelJeans community around me... I prefer smiling happy faces and try to avoid wasting my time to sit with the grumpy, complaining, "I-don't-know-what-to-do-in-my-life" community...

cheers

Rhoody

5. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Ha ha, I kind of know, what you mean. The old outdoor bar at Why-Not was horrible in that respect. Personally I have never understood expats, who can`t find much positive to say about neither the country nor most of its people, but still choose to stay.

Sure, there are many things to dislike about the Filippines, and sometimes these things will drive you crasy. But if it is that bad all in all, then why not just leave? Being foreigners, nobody forces them to stay there. Unlike the filippinos, who often don´t have any realistic option to leave the country. And even if they can, then under some circumstances, where the filippino government is still tying there hands and feets, by forcing them to sign silly OFW-contracts, where most of their salary goes directly into a filippino bank account. And where they - quite unlike the rich and powerfull - also have to pay income tax, even they receive practically nothing in return from the government in the form of public services.

The Filippines is for sure not a free country, nor is it a country, that treats the great majority of its citizens fair in any way. But at least as a foreigner you always have your freedom to leave, if you think it gets to much.

As for places to go out: if you have a tip or two, feel free to send me an email, and I promise you, that I won`t send any of the clientele, you mention, to the place.... :-)

I am also a bit curious, who you are? You said in another thread, that you think, we know each other. My email is: fundiver198@hotmail.com

Best regards, Lars

6. mrsteve38

mrsteve38 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have to say I like Annabel Jeans. Nice music, nice drinks, nice waitresses.
    Also like to sit outside the Why Not in the afternoon. Met quite a few guys there...none of them were moaning or saying "I don't know what to do with my life."! Indeed most of them were living in, or looking for, a place in or near to Duma.
    I also find Happy Freds to be a good place to meet up with other ex pats who aren't disenchanted, and the owner, Terry, is a top bloke as we Brits say...

7. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Steve, I fully agree with you.
    I change from the one place to the other regularly.
    If we go to Dumaguete and SHE has to shop a bit long (:smile: ) I take a beer (or maybe two :D ) at either Anabel, Why Not, Mike's Diveshop, Ching Long, Coco Amigo, ...
    Also I have'nt heard luckily many stories around me about complaining westerners.
    Maybe I don't understand the group of skandinaviers too well, but for those languages I DO understand (quite some) I have no bad experiences.
    Could it be that I'm too busy with enjoying my beer(s) ? :smile:

8. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Jelly, I guess you also did not recognize the new signboard for retired drinkers in the locations mentioned above... :p

Rhoody

Attached Files:

9. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Rhoody, I knew you did like cold beers but did not know you also like to gamble.
    And even in Chinese establishments ?:rolleyes:
    I thought you were more the type for establishments where pretty women walk around :D
    Although.....some Chinese women do look well, I agree :D

10. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    nono, you are wrong, I hang around in establishments where lovely women either sit beside me or dance... hehe walking around is ok but as I am still young my heart can handle the dancing and the sittingclosetome ones...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.