Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete photos from 1960's - 70's

Discussion in '☋ Photo Board ☋' started by Maximus, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I think it would be nice if we post photos of Dumaguete from the 1960's-70's etc. I grew up in Dumaguete in the 70's, left in 1986 for the US and I can still picture in my mind what it used to look like back then, I remember the beach in boulevard was much cleaner and people go swimming and there's a diving board platform about 80 meters into the sea where we used to go jump diving into the waters, or we can go enter the "pantalan" (the port), go inside the big ships and jump from their bow into the deep sea, US Navy ships come visit here often and we go inside for their "open house", in grade school we play soccer at the field where the SU Library now stood behind the Edith Carson Hall where nursing students hang their laundry skibbies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Bro you forgot the showers just right beside the stairs to the beach at the boulevard.

The American friendship day celebrated July 4, was a day of Celebration coz the US navy won't miss visiting Dumaguete for 2 to 3 days then. The US navy will have an educational tour of the ships for the locals. There's also the expected US sailors vs Local athletes in a softball game at the Quezon park.
    The Picnic at the boulevard. The locales will bring Lechon, fruits and other delicacies, while the US navy prepare Salads, Large cans of Spams and other goodies. The Beers, yup SMB's won't run dry. I was about 9 yrs, old then. That was fun.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That's right bro, there was some showers by the stairs in blvd where you can rinse, also many people go "maninghas" when the tide is low for crabs, small clams, etc. I was between 9 to 12 yrs old when the US Navy ships came to visit Dumaguete, I used to call them "Hey Joe, hey joe"

Anyway here's some old Dumaguete pictures I came across at webshots:

Old Dumaguete Pictures pictures from black & white pictures photos on webshots

• Like Like x 1
  4. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks for sharing the Pics bro. Those are quite old, I was not yet even born when they were taken, but I think picture 4 and 5 were park theater ang Rizal groceries respectively then.

Yep we use to ride with these Joes in Barges to reach the Navy ship. So where in the city did you live then, Maximus bro? We used to stay at San Jose st. Then. Now we are in Mangnao.

5. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Gotz,

Where is San Jose st? Near old Cinema?

and Mangnao? Near Pinero Subd?

Tan?

6. OP
    OP
    Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0

I grew up in Lo-oc near the Welcome, near the pantalan, near the Coca-Cola warehouse, near the City Engineers office, totally different now last time I came to Dumaguete. I went to school in Silliman from Elementary, High school and some college so it's just walking distance.

Remember there were 5 movie theaters in Dumaguete back then?
    Park theater, Main theater, Town theater, Dove theater (were they show X rated movies) and Cinema? the one behind Far East bank.
    Are there still movie theaters in Dumaguete? I know at one point they all closed down because of the abundance of pirated VCD / DVD movies no one goes to the movies anymore.

7. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Park = now a Dept Store.

EVER = still showing movies

Cinema = torn down.

Dove(or whatever was facing WCES, gone...)

@ the opposite(facing real st.,) is now called Ultravision I & II, shows movies.

Town = sa tiangge? Burnt down, when the Public Market went up in flames.

So, only 2 are still standing. EVER and Ultravision.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Ying,

Near the Mary Immaculate Church. in San Jose street. Mendez compound In Mangnao.

Old Cinema, Where the Corpuz's, Suela's, and Tan's lives.

9. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Cinema theater was previously named Town theater.

Maybe what he refers as town theater was Goldy theater, now Ultravision I and II. Or perhaps Twin Cinemas, Eco and EC theaters, at the Market that got burned down.

10. c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    hehehe...interesting to get info like that...maybe i wasnt born when these places existed...hehehe...

:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.