Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete photos from 1960's - 70's

Discussion in '☋ Photo Board ☋' started by Maximus, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I have to thank you guys for that thread many times.

Great to get some real insider information about "old times" here in Dumaguete...

positive reputqtion for everybody

2. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    hmm..

Yeah. "Those" theaters.. hehehehe Goldy and Dove. And the kuting(bed bugs) that infest them chairs! whew!!

One facing east(on real st) and the other facing west (on cervantes st.)

The one on real now being Ultravision.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe, Cinema (San Jose St.) was just Cinema from the start.

Town as one said, would be Eco & Ec a the market. (dang, that was like ages ago!)

Well so much for movie theaters! And the "memories" that go with them.... :D

3. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    gotz,

yeah, i do know some of the tans, silva's and the corpuz's being a Louisian/Bosconian.

sorry for being OT. :D

4. SU6750

SU6750 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dumaguete 1907

Found this pics on the web. Dumaguete 1900s.
    A WOMAN'S JOURNEY TO THE PHILIPPINES by Florence Kimball Russel.

Pic 01 - dumaguete boulevard
    Pic 02 - fishermen
    Pic 03 - dumaguete belfry, convent

Attached Files:

5. SU6750

SU6750 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    excerpt from A WOMAN'S JOURNEY TO THE PHILIPPINES by Florence Kimball Russel

OUR first stopping place after a two days’ trip from Manila was Dumaguete, on the southeast corner of the island of Negros. ‘We reached there at seven o’clock on Christmas morning, and found it a tropically picturesque little town, surrounded by forest-grown hills, and built mostly of nipa, with the exception of the church, convento, watchtower, and tribunal, which were of wood painted a dazzling white.

All day long men and boys, innocent of even an excuse for clothes, hovered about the ship in bancas or dugouts, chattering volubly with each other in Visayan, or begging us in broken Spanish to throw down coins that they might exhibit their natatorial accomplishments, and, when we finally yielded, diving with yells of delight for the bits of silver, seeming quite as much pleased, however, with chocolates wrapped in tinfoil as they had been with the money, and uttering shrill cries that sounded profanely like “Dam’me — dam’me,” to attract our attention.

When a coin was thrown overboard every one dived for it with becoming unanimity, and the water being very clear, we could see their frog-like motions as they swam downward after the vanishing prize, and the good-natured scuffle under water for its possession. Laughing, sputtering, coughing, they would come to the surface, shaking the water out of their bright eyes like so many cocker spaniels, the sun gleaming on their brown skins, their white teeth shining, as they pointed out the complacent victor, who would hold the money up that we might see it, before they would again begin their clamour of “Dam’me — dam’me,” and go through a pantomime of how quickly each personally would dive and bring it up, did we throw our donation in his direction.

6. von-mark

von-mark DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there are lots of old structures and landmark that are gone now in Dumaguete. However, if you will go to Quezon Park you will still witness the origin of Danaget or known as Dumaguete now...
    The only significant landmark was the old Bell Tower, which was built in 1811 to serve as a belfry and as a watchtower against piratical Moro raids.And the some of Silliman's Building.. Silliman Hall, Guy Hall and Katipunan Hall....

Attached Files:

7. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Bell tower pic

The third picture seems to indicate that the area East of the tower (city hall and Tinago) was a wetland then. The high embankment on the photo shows. Are there municipal historical records around about Dumaguete's topography? Just wondering.

8. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    Sir,

Town Theater was in San Jose St. now its scoobys.

It was Eco and Esy up there in the old market building.

Goldy was Tend Theater before that.

memories...:smile:

9. OP
    OP
    Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Main theater is now Ever theater...
    The first movie I watch when I was about 5 years old I remember was at Town Theater starring Vilma Santos and Edgar Mortiz, this was in 1969.

10. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The first movie I saw in Dumaguete was "Ivanhoe" at Ivy Theater on Real Street. This was in the 50's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.