Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete Studio Apartment

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Blaze_Pontaine, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    This place is great as sort of a starter kit. If you are new to the Philippines, then it's great. The owner is helpful, knowledgeable and the place is well run.

The place has changed its marketing focus over the years. It started out as basic apartment rentals but has since changed to be more like a hotel rental. It targets relatively short term rentals for foreigners who need a jumping off point or need an alternative to a hotel. Once you have been here long enough to get comfortable with Dumaguete, then you leave and find cheaper housing.

As others have pointed out, it's expensive. For Dumaguete, it's bat sh*t crazy expensive. That's fine, because it serves its target niche well and seems to keep a decent occupancy rate. If there wasn't demand for the rooms, then the rates wouldn't stay that high.

The rooms are small and basic, but they are clean and well maintained. If something breaks, then the owner will fix it right away. That's a pro and a con, the owner is always there to help, but some people don't like for the owner to always be there. The owner is also the type of person whom you either get along with well, or will drive you up the wall. He can be a bit of a cranky old guy at times. Again, for short term stays, this shouldn't be a problem.

An important note is that you can't smoke anywhere on the grounds or inside your apartment. You also can't drink alcohol outside your apartment unless it's low key. If you regularly come in late, drunk and loud then he might give you the boot. This is another pro / con. If you are looking for smoke / alcohol free, then this is the place, if not, then you may need to look elsewhere.

Bottom line, if you need an easy place to get into that isn't a hotel, then go for it. If you plan on staying for more than 6 months, then start looking for a new place once you get here.

I lived there for a couple of years (when the rooms were only 10K / month) and this was rarely a problem. I only noticed it once in a great while when the wind was just right to give you a whiff.

3. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Electric bill?

Is the only utility bill you pay, the NORECO bill? Approx. how much is that each month, and is that with a/c use? Have a friend looking to move from the hotel they have been in for 2 years.

4. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The best thing to do is go talk to them. Just show up, the owner is almost always there. If the old guy (Dave) isn't there, then the wife will probably be there. They live in the ground floor house across from the apartments. Just go to the waiting area where the house opens up and yell for someone.

He changes his mind on how he does things all the time, so it's hard to say what sort of deal he would give you. This place gets the Valencia power discount, but I don't remember if he was passing that discount to the tenants. When I was there he didn't have meters on the water, so water was free. The only other utility would be phone / internet and he took care of all the connections. Given the price is so high, he may not charge for that anymore.

Other perks is that you can have the helpers do your laundry (washing machine) and if they are available, then you can have them clean your place as well.

The cost of electricity of course depends on your usage. Each room has air conditioning and that can jack up your bill pretty high. I used only the fan and I think my bill was as low as 800 pesos. He won't screw you over on any of the bills, so it should be about the same as anywhere else, possibly lower if he passes the Valencia savings.

5. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    It is not so difficult to calculate the price of electricity for the use of air condition.
    1 kwh cost around 10 pesos.
    An aircon of 1 HP consumes around 1 kwh/hour
    An aircon of 2 HP consumes 2 Kwh/hour and so on...
    If you compare the price of electricity with 2 years ago, the price has doubled !

6. Sundance Kid

Sundance Kid DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are their current listings for apartments that you would recommend, please? I am seeking a vacation apartment for just a couple of weeks this coming January- February as well as for at last a few months in the winter of 2015. I prefer the Valencia area, but would look at Dumaguete listings also. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

7. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    There really aren't good listings. The best you can do is use whatever online resources you have before you get here and then go searching after you are already here. That means your best options are the types of places which have an internet presence - mostly hotels.

Dumaguete Studio Apartments is on the outskirts of Dumaguete and in the direction of Valencia, so it's not a bad location as it's close to downtown Dumaguete and Valencia. Though it's relatively expensive, it's still priced well compared to a hotel. It's also one of the few (only?) places which is an apartment which allows short stays without going through all the BS that you normally go through when renting an apartment. You might consider staying there for the two weeks and then talk to foreigners and look around a bit for the next place to stay when you are here longer.

8. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Actually, there is another place I know of which has apartments available for short stays. The name is Dumaguete Springs, but the rooms start at 1,500 / day or 20,000 / month and they are located right in the city rather than farther out towards Valencia.

And I totally forgot about these. They are in Valencia apparently. I actually know the guy who owns these, but I have yet to go out there. So, I don't know much about the location. Sorry to the owner, I will get out there one of these days, I promise!

http://dumaguete-apartments.com

These appear to start at 2K / day and 20K / month.

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think he charges 25k a month for short term. If I remember correctly that includes all bills (Internet, cable, water, electricity). Might want to contact him on the electricity part. We had a conversation about his place but can't remember exactly what the deal was.

10. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    This is the MarPas apartments in Valencia.

Current rates are:-
    per day 2000p
    per week 12000p

Short term (1-3 months)
    37,000p per month includes water, electricity, cable TV, internet, linene and cleaning.

Long term (4 months - 1 year)
    22,000p per month, includes free water only.