Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete to CDO......by car????

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Howardsnewyork, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Black Pearl Trading

Black Pearl Trading DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Larry,

First off the Youtube Video gives live conditions of a Drive down the road or any other Topic of a given location ( at that time and day) No! it's not like being there! So an Apple and an Orange are not the same! I also have many friends living here... some for more than 20 years... Some live like Kings...some live very simple lives... one lives in the middle of no where, in a Hut with no power, water and a 22 year old Wife... So I get the whole gamit of life here. I got here and No shock! I saw and expected everything, I think many come and Do Not share that ...And see only the Bad.

I'm here to stay... CDO was never on my Map of looking to settle places, I came to meet one Woman.

So I'm now seeking more what I had as Plan A... Dumaguete!

I came from a Small Town in Arizona, Bullhead City so by American Standards not a great place! So I have lived the Upper class American Lifestyle and Choose a simple life... Bullhead City was "that" back then.

This is not America... I'm not looking for that! I can be happy in a Hut on the Beach..... but my Hut will be the Best one on the beach! Because I have Skills... I can take any set of conditions and make a nice life... frame of thinking, Skills, etc.

Eyes wide open!

David

2. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Uhu ... and which City in the Philippines are you comparing to CDO with, being that experienced ? if that's your judgment about CDO, you should not even remotely consider Dumaguete ..

@ Shadow: regarding the street, better yes slightly, good no

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Now Gass, he knows all about Dumaguete as well, there is absolutely no gridlock or dirty streets here, and everything here is easy to deal with. After all, he saw it on YOUTUBE!

LOL

Larry

4. Black Pearl Trading

Black Pearl Trading DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Larry,

I was given a transport cost and dates as recent as 8/24/2012 by 2GO for Travel to Dumaguete from CDO... and I was again in the office just on 12/27/2012 with the Harbor Excuse... I welcome anyone's input as to other RORO Shippers in the CDO/Dumaguete run. I seem to find few web sites or info that is not years old... So from Phone numbers that don't work or email never replied to... The reality is it's just hard to find good info. I am a newbie... So I don't claim to have your travel expireance... I find the Area in general to my liking... time will tell if I like it and make it Home.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Yes, they stopped servicing Dumaguete last summer after this thread was posted;

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/dumaguete-city/did-you-see-thursday-afternoon-10551.html

There was no typhoon or other fresh calamity to the pier at that time. All other shippers are still using the Dumaguete pier, Cokaliong, GP lines, etc. So their harbor excuse is just that, an excuse. Something you will not learn on youtube here is that it is always someone else's fault.

There are no other shippers that ply the CDO/Dumaguete route. About the most direct is CDO/Tagbilaran, then Ocean Jet to Dumaguete. We have been to CDO several times in the last few months, and will likely be there again next week. This is the least troublesome route. Otherwise you go through Cebu or take the road trip to Dapitan. While passing through Cebu, be sure to check out the Colon/Carbon market area, where you will find nice clean streets and no pollution or gridlock whatsoever, as seen on Youtube.

Larry

6. highway_61

highway_61 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    anybody that thinks the conditions in CDO are bad is unfamiliar with the cities of the Philippines. It might be a bit chaotic and congested compared to Zurich, Switzerland but when you compare it to other Filipine cities of roughly comparable size or even much smaller, it comes out well.

as far as I'm aware the only link right now between Dumaguete and MindAnao is the ferry to Dapitan, which is still I would guess about 180km away, by pretty rough roads consdiering it's supposed to be the highway until you get past Ozamis, from Cagayan de Oro even if you take the ferry across Ozamis bay. In the past I think there has been ferries to Ozamis and Iligan, but when I was recently in Dumaguete the only Mindanao destination I saw was Dapitan.

7. OP
    OP
    Howardsnewyork

Howardsnewyork DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for your reply.....since my post we decided to go to Cebu and cross to CDO.....easier trip to go Duma to Cebu than Dapitan to CDO
    Thanks
    Howard

8. highway_61

highway_61 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in the Gaisano in Iilgan the other day and to my surprise saw some advertising at the travel agency on the ground floor indicating that there was a ferry to Dumaguete, however they said that the ferry no longer ran. It may start up again in future though I'd check just in case it does, that is by far the closest Mindanao port to Dumaguete, and not far at all to CDO from there, however the traffic situation with all the new airport roadworks, while not too bad on a bike, is a nightmare with a car at the moment.

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

I will assume you forgot about Dapitan, which is roughly half the distance to Dumaguete of Iligan, and is a port in northern Mindanao. After traveling back and forth CDO/Dumaguete for 8 years I have heard of this rumored other boat, but have never heard of an occasion where it actually set sail. If they ever do fix the road between Iligan and CDO, and this boat actually became a reality, it would be welcome by us.

Larry

10. highway_61

highway_61 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in CDO now the roadworks are not too bad on a bike, I know what you mean about 'mythical' ferries I knew someone in Ozamis too who swore blind there was a ferry from there to Dumaguete however I never saw any actual evidence of it myself, in Siquijor I came across some old tourism promotional material, a glossy leaflet not cheap, not sure how old it was but it listed all the ferry routes from there to all the various islands, most of them are broadly the same as now, but this leaflet suggested that at one time there was a weekly ferry running from Lazi to Iligan, this was an official leaflet printed by the Siquijor tourism office. I was intrigued enough to call the number on the leaflet to ask about it, but no signal.