Dumaguete Info Search

dumaguete to sta catalina

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by tonycocia, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonycocia

tonycocia DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi!
    Would be going to Dumaguete late may ,need to hire a car to Sta Catalina
    would like to buy some grocery at dumaguete before going to Sta Catalina
    how much should I be spending for the transportaion service.

2. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Bus is cheapest. My wife is from Sta Catalina district, but not all the way into town. I used ton take aircon bus. It's probably 100 Piso by now?

Private vans can be a bit expensive.

Just take a bus marked Bayawan

3. OP
    OP
    tonycocia

tonycocia DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for your advise but was planning to buy a week supply of grocery at Lee and have some suitcases to carry too, so planned to spend a little bit more than usual.

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    A professional driver I use just texted me his van cost from Dgte to Santa is now p3,000, due to the high cost of gas. As S-USA suggested, the bus is around 80p, and you can ship your groceries and bags too, if packed sufficiently, for less than 50.

5. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That's too expensive for 3,000PHP from Dgte to Sta Catalina thats a few Miles compared to Cebu-Santander. From Cebu City to Santander is 2,800 PHP for a taxi ride "PAKYAW" just to catch up the early barge to cross to Negros Oriental at 4AM dawn just this month.

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Yes, but Cebu has thousands of taxis who are competing against each other for a peso, and at 4 AM they don't get much opportunity to make much. This is Dumaguete, and one thing that is more expensive here than Cebu is car hire. They have little competition in Dumaguete so charge more. Just a few years back Scuds wanted P6000 for Dumaguete/Bayawan. Now they are getting more competition so the price has gone down, but not to the point of the competition/price of Cebu drivers.

Cebu to Bato = 140 km.

Dumaguete to Santa Catalina 90 km.

Larry

7. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    How I wish that would be a reason, but staying at Cebu for a decade based on experienced you'll be having a hard time to ride a Taxi specially if you go to far places like Danao, Mactan Island beaches or to Talisay...their reason is that no one will ride back to the city (Cebu) that's why they wont let you ride in. I used to live nearby beaches at Mactan Island having a hard time to ride taxi back home not unless I say additional 50pesos from my actual total fare that would apply me for day or late night or even dawn from bar hopping. There are also long line for taxi waiting at the malls, I hate it, its getting like Manila for Cebu.

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Well we certainly have different experience. Based on nearly a decade of travelling back and forth Cebu/Dumaguete, sometimes 6-8 times per MONTH, (we have been 4 times this month already, and have to go back this weekend) about one in four times we tell the driver to take us to the south bus terminal, he tries to get us to pay P3000/P5000 to take us to Bato instead. In fact, it happened to us just yesterday.

We have no problems getting taxis at the Cebu malls either, it makes a big difference which door you walk out of. In Ayala, for instance, walk out the Supermarket door or the south east exit. Never a line there. We don't stand in any lines for taxis, ever. We use Cebu taxis probably close to 50 times per month at times. The only time we have ever noticed a hard time getting a cab is during rush hour if it is raining.

Larry

9. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Might be able to hitch a ride to Sta Catalina for free on one of the military duce and a halfs.

10. OP
    OP
    tonycocia

tonycocia DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    dumaguete to sta catalina

Thank you all for the advises!!!!!

Will sleep on it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.