Dumaguete Info Search

Duterte ends “Endo”

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by cabb, May 2, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Generally, working on contracts is more risky than being an employee....but can be far more rewarding and offer more personal freedom if you know what you are doing and if you are really good at your job. You have to know what you are signing and know how (and be in a position) to negotiate. This should not be the standard for low level/low skill work IMO.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I know I won’t be able to negotiate since I’m only digging ditches but I want to find some place where it isn’t so “black”(as the Japanese calls it), which means OT not paid, no break time or there might be but only on paper. Almost every Japanese except for the very old ones is quitting so they started hiring foreigners with zero Japanese language comprehension and claimed to understand English who in reality do not and I’m being used to translate for these new guys for free on top of my job assignment adding to the stress. I’m sorry for these guys but I’m not a hero.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Working for sh*t/unethical companies sucks. Once you have established some work/contracting experience you can start to search out better employers. Sounds like you should be going online and throwing your CV out to every company (not headhunters) that is looking for employees and see if you get any that will bite.

• Like Like x 3
  4. OP
    OP
    cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    This was posted by OzeMike in another thread about his partners experience with ENDO in response to my question on his personal experience.

Working wives

Yes I almost did a reply in the Endo thread. But as you asked from my previous partners experience over 4 different supermarket chains in Cebu the 5 month Endo contract was just a money saving exercise by the companies.

Very few of her fellow workers if any got offered full time positions. My partner was an exceptional good worker never missed going to work and was praised by her supervisors but never got offered a full time position.

It's a money saving anti union ploy by the greedy supermarket owners. It needs to end.

5. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I personally think ending ENDO is a great thing. An employer can still fire a bad employee at anytime but now have to watch out for bad employee's rather then just keep an eye out for that 1 really good employee while you cycle through tons of averages. However I do think their are a lot of poor workers out there and its hard to find a good one even if you offer good money. Have a business that goes through a couple of employee's and you'll see it. There are plenty of foreigners here with business's like Tommy, Ron, and a few others that pay pretty well especially when compared to competition and all of them will have stories of lots of bad workers who didn't last long. Sit on their phones every chance they get, never try and be friendly, outgoing, and cheerful to customers, never try and upsell, even ignoring customers until customers call and that's if they didn't do a no show or call in sick for work to go to the beach with friends on your busiest day of the week.

However employers should be the one watching out for bad employee's and you can even use other employee's to assist in it such as some of the longer term more loyal employee's. The 5 month thing was just about not paying full costs for an employee and thus getting cheaper labor.

Still though I'd like to see them address all the business's who don't comply with minimum wage and benefits even if its by going around and quietly auditing small and large business's employee's. Plus a look at some of the realities with a few of these business's where affording to pay their two workers 320p and benefits a day would kill said business likely (some of these cheap eateries and various others).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1