Dumaguete Info Search

Easy snorkling

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by Dong, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dong

Dong DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place that's good just for floating on the surface, and looking down.

I've always wanted to try scuba, or even be able to snorkel properly, but since I have asthma, I'm limited.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Snorkeling, Dauin - Sanctuary fantastic for both

3. dharmabum

dharmabum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank for the tip on Bohol Island Resort. I am aiming for a snorkel/dive tomorrow Jan 14,2010 to Rico's Wall or Rudy's Rock.

I asked after you at the Dive shop (Joy) but she did not recall your visit.

Any tips for diving around Balicasag ? Any "secret spots" better than these two sites. I only have one day left here so weather and connections permiting this will be my last dive in PI.

I have been diving since 1965 but less than 100 dives. Best dive ever was Bunekan (sp ?) Isand top of Sulewasi but also enjoyed Tiran reef off Sharm el Sheik.
    I will ask after you withtheir dive master tomorrow if things work out. He is Danilo Menorias.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I dived with them but never worked for them, I guess that explains.

Anyway, Balicasag is a small Island and with a bit current you cover 2 divesites. My personal favorites are the Black Forest and the Cathedral. Both of them are a kind of "deeper" dive-sites and have some unique stuff, perfect for Nitrox to extend the bottom time. But for Cathedral you need super clear water and sunlight.

In general Balicasag is great wherever you jump in the water. I love to drift gently along the walls in 12 - 20 meters. always a good chance to see some good-sized Baracudas.

Have a great trip and safe dives

5. OP
    OP
    Dong

Dong DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the tip Rhoody.

I've been reading up on Dauin, and the black sand they have there. Plus checking out pics of some of the aquatic life around the reefs of the Dauin Sanctuary.

Very interesting~

6. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Snorkeling/floating at Dauin is preferred to Alona Beach in Bohol.
    So Dong, I should opt for Dauin or Apo Island.

7. OP
    OP
    Dong

Dong DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Good advice John.

Apo was a great time.

I really enjoyed "Rock West" at Apo island.

I'm not very good at snorkeling, but since the coral outcroppings were only a few feet under the surface, I got an extended up close view of some very colorful corals, of many varieties.

I also saw more fish than I thought possible, including an eel, that wasn't the least bit afraid of me.

I got a look at a big turtle, and some very large, colorful, tropical fish.

I'm looking forward to our next trip, to snorkel at Apo Island again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.