Dumaguete Info Search

Emulating white people?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by RHB, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave-Caz

Dave-Caz DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ebony and Ivory

It’s a strange old world we live in. The Philippines have shops stocked up with whitening cream (which I had never even heard of until Michael Jackson changed colour)
    There are some cities in the UK, where the local shops in a district consist of the baker, newsagent, off licence (alcohol sales) and a tanning shop. The place is full of Orange people with “fake bake” spray on tan. All in an attempt to attain visual perfection. At least until it washes off. (never mind, one can always drown ones sorrows at the off licence until payday, and the weekly tanning top up.

I am too lazy for all that trouble, so I have agreed to marry a Filipina, Then the fake bake crowd can just gaze in awe at my lovely wife. (Which will give me street cred without having to suffer the injustice if the tanning salon.

Naturally, she would like to be compensated for my convenience, so we will visit the Phils now and again so her fellow country folk can gaze at her sexy long nose while she feels like that cat that got the cream.

The trouble may begin when this long nose peels in the sun. Aaarrh. Does the whitening cream shop sell high factor sun block cream?

Take it easy people – and just be who you are – and let your natural self become your attractive feature.
    Dave

2. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Filipinos or non filipinos have all their RIGHTS whatever they want to do with their body as long as they have monies in the bank. We just have to respect their rights because it's their life! :D :D

Dav-Caz; this post of mine is my answer to the previous post, not yours. Thanks.

3. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    A welcoming message .Just made me wonder are we now restricted to post only one line or two? I've never seen any notice posted by Dane so far.

just wondering if you're trying to get me with this post rhoody.
    this be for me or anyone before your mssg ,not nice :confused:
    also i didn't use the word 'psycho' ,did I ? ' far i can remember ,i put in there psyche
    and by definition that distinguish one from the other :

psycho Show phonetics
    noun [C] plural psychos INFORMAL
    someone who is crazy and frightening:
    The man's a psycho.

psyche Show phonetics
    noun [C usually singular]
    the mind, or the deepest thoughts, feelings or beliefs of a person or group:

most explainations given by people here are very enlightining and made this discussion iniated by RHB lively apart from if a contributor subjectively does targets insults coming from nowhere.I'm sure we can argue , agree or disagree with objectivity , but there's no need tossing rudeness. :confused:

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I will appologize for my wrong spelling... you are right.
    But I will not look for any kind of excuses. Maybe it offends somebody, maybe silent readers agree anyway it pushes the discussion, and all input is highly appreciated...
    Everybody here was waiting for Yabs and Earls comments. They are not here at present so somebody has to offend our happy family here... I am happy to do so. :D . Next time I will not use the term BS I will use KP :D.
    friends again:wink:
    gotta earn some money now
    yours insulting

Rhoody

thats why my name is Rhoody not Politey

• Like Like x 1
  5. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    sadly ,I would not buy it rhoody , such a waste of nice words .your message has double meaning.You were recognizing your misinterpretation ,but still finding your way out and support to prove I have said something that provokes bad feelings in this thread , and have silently offended other people ,the reason to justify your punches earlier . Does it necessarily have to be that way , widening the rift more. My overall comment is based from cultural-historical books about Filipino culture merge with echo reflections from two significant novels written during the 1800’s by Dr Jose Rizal (Philippine national hero ),the Nole me Tangere and El Filibustirismo .I assume you haven’t heard of these two novels and way far from your interest to know . But you can google nowadays ( if curious ) for links that draws the same cultural highlights as i had put in. People in this thread will agree with it or not, it’s not of my interest. I am just posting as I normally do , sharing as we call it and it’s like take it or leave it.

6. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Well let me say, I knew some of the answer before I asked. I really wanted to get some first hand feedback from some of the Pinoy members here. (Please continue) I learn something everyday, and will contine to ask the hard, sometimes deceptivly obvious (stupid) questions.
    So far, the prize from my perspective goes to Miss Newt, a thoughtful long answer reflecting the core of the reason. Status and rank in society is associated with the color tone of your skin. But why I ask, inthe 21rst Century, in a country where the vast majority of natives are darker than light. It is as if you are born inferior in your own culture.

In America for example, 60 years ago and before, the black minority (read minority in numbers), was oppressed and persecuted. One way to avoid persecution was to pass for white if you could. Meaning straighten your hair, and try to appear white if your skin tone was light enough. Now, many years later, after the civil rights movement in the 50's 60's, Blacks are proud of their African heritage, and reject the White standard of beauty, there are exceptions, Miss america contestants et al.

When I came to the Philippines, I too was surprised at all the effort of the Filipinos to whiten themselves, it is a form of cultural self loathing quite frankly. Maybe it is a time to reverse the trend and promote the natural beauty and appearance you have. Don't expct it will happen in my lifetime.

It is not so simple as dark wants to be white and visa versa. Nigerians dont strive to be white, niether do Iranians, or Indians. I would suspect not all white races strive to be dark. I don't, and I am white. I have a very nice "farmer tan" as it is called, brown arms and lower legs, white everywhere else.

Michael Jackson is a pervert and borderline phsychotic, enough said.:eek:

thanks for the responses.

7. Melvin Tinklehopper

Melvin Tinklehopper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    White people always seem to have a lot of money

8. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Bingo! your quip has more meaning han you might think. The eurasian domination of the world starting roughly about 13,000 years ago has been succinctly described in a 500 pag tomb titled Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. If you Google it, I am sure you will find some quick reviews.
    Mr. diamond, originally a biologist was in Malaysia working on some sort of study, when a local native from an indigenous people asked him a question:
    "Why do white people have more cargo than we native people? "Cargo" is synonymous with large material wealth. This single question spurred Diamond to find out why, culminatingin the book.

As to whether this is a reason western beauty is held to such a high standard in the Philippines, I can't speculate.

9. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    too dark

my girl friend is always saying I am too dark, when we go out if it is sunny she must take the umbrella, I told her she is just beautiful the way she is and no western guy that I know, has ever said to me that lady is beautiful but she is too dark. still my words fall on stony ground she has a mind set about skin lightness, and nothing I say makes any difference. same thing in thailand and they have never had a colonial past.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Siam had deep ties with both england and france even though not colonized. One factor overlookd is the merchant class of Chinese which dominated much of south East Asia and Malaysia (including Philippines). The Chinese are noted, not for colonizing, but situating themselves within a society and controlling much of the trading, money, and by default, politics. Being also lighter skinned than most ofthe native inhabitants the heirarchy of class and skin color may be contributed to that to an extent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.