Dumaguete Info Search

Emulating white people?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by RHB, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Being Filipino

Thanks All, for your comments re the e-mail forwarded several times it seemed till it reached a friend of a friend and eventually me. I copy-pasted and shared with you DC Forum friends. I am a Filipino although quite extensively traveled and have had numerous opports for careers overseas. I'm done with "working my butt off", still with some [tee hee] left and re-tired [new tires], I'd say I am keeping my ID as a unique individual.

I don't know Art Bell but he must have his say, I guess, on what he has in mind about any race, even his own. And everyone else including myself has the right to respond accordingly.

My response stays this, being a Filipino: I will enjoy being a unique individual immersed in a culture that has withstood all sorts of "trials and tribulations" written and unwritten. Speaking for myself as a fact, opinion for others.

There is no need to add any more war formats to what live multimedia we see and/or feel everyday -- in the environment, in some crowds, in words. Do I sound old? That's because I am.:smile:

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Amazing how it was taught in the schoiols here that the fluorescent lamp was invented by and named after Agapito Flores, a Filipino. Nonsense.

The term "fluorescence" was named by british scientist George Stokes around 1845, and Thomas Edison invented the first working fluorescent lamp in 1896 which was patented in 1907. GE purchased later patents on it in 1912, which was still before Flores' time. Maybe whoever wrote the Philippine text books had just woken up from their 2 hour nap and confused it with a dream!

Fluorescent lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[PULA] Philippine Urban Legend Archive

Larry

3. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Ok Larry scratch the bulb and replace it with brownout:rolleyes:

4. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    First its BLACKOUT. A "brownout" is low voltage. A "blackout" is no voltage!

I'm sure that Cuba did not invent the blackout but for several years it was the #1 practitioner of that dubious art.

As I gain experience of living in the Philippines, I now worry more about stray voltage and voltage surges than any kind of "outs".

I hadn't burnt anything out since an inexpensive toaster in Germany a quarter century ago. Recently, I've toasted two computers in as many months here due to errant and unpredictable voltage!

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    As Dave said, they invented the "no voltage brownout!"

:wink:

A good quality UPS would be a worthwhile investment. Avoid the cheap ones.

Larry

6. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Count yourself lucky last aug. they crossed their lines on my transformer and we got 480 volts.burned out everything including all the wires in the whole resort.

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Who gets to pay for that??!!:eek:

8. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    my calculated guess is bikerdave :D

9. JerryHeide

JerryHeide DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Maybe a good place to find an electrical job......:rolleyes:
    Done that for 20 years humm never crossed wires....lol well maybe a few..

Jerry.

10. jedclintock

jedclintock DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, there is no limit to the kind of misinformation, bias, prejudice you can find on the internet.
    Some insights.
    the term "third world" is an ethnocentric term coined by the western countries, it went out with the twentieth Century. Developing nations is the new politically correct term. Should you care to be.
    Philippines is part of Malaysia, not Chinese, or Japanese, or Korean. But Filipinos are Asian by racial description.
    There is a very racist "pecking order" in Asia among Asian nationalities and regions. It goes like this:
    Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malaysian. Filipinos are at the bottom as they are part of the Malay people. Its Why many try to rise above their perceived station and emulate lighter skinned people.

Even Filipinos in the Philippines sometimes resent the Nouveau Riche Attitude of well to to expat Filipinos. Not uncommon among any culture.

And who invented the airplane? The Wright Brothers? The single biggest American myth. So national pride often stretches or changes history.
    The British are wonderful at this, I think they claim to have invented every major discovery since Pliny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.