Dumaguete Info Search

End to End Pregnancy to Birth at Silliman

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PatO, Jan 30, 2011.

1. princetonc

princetonc DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My wifes OB was Dr. Rana. very nice indeed. She gave birth last dec 29, 2010. Dr. Rana was watching my wife from labor to giving birth. I even requested to go inside the delivery room :smile:

Our pedia is Dr. Desiree Gubantes who specialized in cardio as well.

2. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Thanks, she already has Phil Health so that is very good news on part of the costs being covered!

3. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Princetonc, congratulations on the birth of your child. Question, does the doctor actually perform the delivery herself or is there a ward where the procedure occurs? Same question if a C section is required.

4. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    My son was born in November at Holy Child with Dr Tan from beginning to end. Ended up a C-section due to him flipping end to end somehow after the last ultrasound. Total cost.... $79,000 php. Dr Tan is great. One thing I like about her is that she has her clinic at Harold's Mansion where she conducts the ultrasounds herself with both parent sin the room and makes commentary along the way. She also has her own pharmacy for medications and prenatal vitamins and the prices are cheaper than buying them at Mercury Drug.

Our last OB at Holy Child just had my wife go to the lab for ultrasounds and read the results to come to a conclusion. She also induced labor 2 weeks early and then left some gauze in the wife that later led to complications that resulted in a trip to Dr Tan to have her cervix frozen to repair the damage.

5. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Joe, thank you for sharing. We heard many good references for Dr. Uy at Silliman so we decided to use her services. Nice to know there are multiple excellent doctors in this area. Congratulations on your son. Btw, how long does the recovery take from a C-section? Thanks

6. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    PatO..

There are lots of good doctors around.. I am glad you found one that is good for you and your wife. If she does not do her own ultrasounds, I would recommend that you go to Dr Tan when you need them. You do not have to be a "patient" of hers to get that done. About 7 months into the pregnancy you can get the 4D and you will see the baby's face in detail.

7. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Oh, I forgot.. Recovery time from the C-section.. not sure about that because it had been 3 months now and she is still recovering to some extent. The outer incision heals quickly, however the inner one takes (from what we were told by a nurse) up to six months to heal completely.

The wife generally feels pretty good, but every once in awhile she might stretch or move in an odd direction and squeal a bit from a muscle pain from my interpretation of what she is saying. She does have some numbness in the area of the incision, but that is normal from the nerve damage during the procedure itself.

8. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Thanks JoeM. Dr. Uy did an ultrasound and we saw and heard the 2 month baby's heart beat and got a print out. Can't wait until month 7 so we can find the the gender.
    I am hoping my wife will not require a C-section. I imagine they must cut through the stomach muscles and that healing process must be uncomfortable. Her sister had a baby 3 months ago and no C-section necessary.

9. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Pat,

Glad to hear that your OB does her own ultrasounds!

One of many misconceptions here is that just because the father is a foreigner that a C-section is in order. There are plenty of examples of that not being the case. I would say that the numbers are probably about the same across the board. As I mentioned, my son was out of position.

You will be able to find the gender of your child out as little as 3 months into it if he or she is in the right position during the ultrasound and does not have his or her legs crossed. We knew the gender of the baby this early for both of our children. I was not present for the discovery of my daughter's gender, but was there when Dr Tan was busy counting appendages and pointing them out.. first she showed us the fingers and toes one by one and then she showed the otin and pronounced it is with most certainty a boy! Very exciting!