Dumaguete Info Search

Everyday People

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PatO, Mar 25, 2011.

1. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    It might just be a matter of semantics. I show common courtesy to all, unless you prove you don't deserve even that. Respect or esteem is earned, I think, by your day to day actions. How can you respect people you've just met and know nothing about?

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Conversely, does one not show any respect to people one does not know? Just saying......

3. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I think their are two different behavior patterns here. Treating others with respect and respecting their opinions is more about you and the kind of person you are.
    Actually respecting the OP is more about them, it must be earned.
    Just my view.

4. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    so so someone new to you says 'hello' . With respect 'hello' back or with no respect ignore or f... Y.. maybe i am missing something, common curtesy means respect in my eyes. Respect to all unless you no longer deserve this.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    guess that is a cultural thing, saying Hello has nothing to do with respect or disrespect for me. I say that to people I don't respect at all. I am raised like, to say hello either you like/respect/know someone or not.

6. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I have already stated I extend common courtesy, untill someone proves they do not deserve it. I think, by definition ignoring someone or f-y would be discourteous ? So I wouldn't do that. If I don't know them, I still don't respect them. Must I respect drug addicts, murderers, rapists and Internal Revenue Service agents, lying used car salesmen and tax cheats? Ok, I respect the tax cheats if they have been doing it for 50 years and haven't been caught. That must have taken skill. [I have always paid my taxes because I think I would have been caught eventually]. I don't think I can state it more plainly than this. Might be a language or culture barrier, or as I said previously, semantics. I'm pleased to know you will respect me regardless [ joke ].

7. Tom_A

Tom_A DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitions

I guess it is a cultural meaning with the word, but you pretty much hit it on the head. What does anyone lose by giving respect at first, nothing. As we get to know people, it is up to them to keep and enhance that respect.

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Well put! :D

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Hello!

:confused: Saying hello to anyone, cost's Nothing, Like them or Not! Respect IS earned and should never be demanded!:cool:

Jack P.:smile:

10. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Maybe not the dictionary definition but respect to some people is common courtesy. Black and white. If not any respect then disrespect ( Hello or F y.. )
    Hi robert k.
    You would surely give them the benefit of some of your common courtesy they might already be some of your friends or acquaintances unless they had a label.
    I am an everyday person with my take on this. No offence to any intended.
    Take care all.