Dumaguete Info Search

Expat demographics

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Angela, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Angela

Angela DI Junior Member

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello eveyone,

I'd like to introduce myself to everyone in this forum. My name's Angela and I'm an American who has been living in Paris, France for the past 12 years. I'm planning on moving to Negros Oriental in Dec. 2011 to be closer to my mother. She's originally from Cebu City and has recently left the States to retire in Negros Oriental.

I have read several of the expat postings on this site, which I have found to be very informative. I have noticed, however, that there are no expat women on this forum (or practically none?), which brings a couple of questions to mind:

Would anyone here happen to know just how many expats are living in the Dumaguete area and, of these, what percentage are women? I would also be interested in knowing the expats' average age. From what I've gathered on this site, a lot of the expats are retirees. Any info on expat demographics would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first time posting on this forum, or any other forum, for that matter. So I'm asking you to forgive any faux pas that I may be unknowingly committing, and to set me on the right path.:smile:

Looking forward to hearing from all of you...

Angela

2. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Hi Angela,

I will take a stab at your questions even though I'm a former Dumagueteano.

First, no one really knows exactly how many ex-pats are living in and around Dumaguete. I have heard estimates varying as wildly as 1,000 to as much as 8,000. I suspect it's somewhere near the middle of those estimates depending on whether you count the foreign students (mostly from S. Korea) most of whom are here for only a semester or one academic year.

There are expat women on this forum...I am sure you will hear from some of them. However, they are definitely a small minority of the total number of expats...I would guess 5 to at most 10% of the expat population. (And I am referring to those who are living in Negros long-term, not students.)

The most common scenario is a retired expat male married to a Filipina. There are certainly exceptions, but that is most common. There are very few employers who hire expat workers in Negros so those who are not retired typically own a business, work via the internet or are of independent means. Retired persons likely comprise 85% (or more) of the expat population in Negros and their ages reflect this.

3. OP
    OP
    Angela

Angela DI Junior Member

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks so much, derivative guru, for your reply. It's nice to know that questions don't go unanswered on this forum. I have a clearer picture now of what to expect in Dumaguete.

Although my Mom is Filipina and I'd spent part of my childhood in the PI (my Dad was a U.S. Marine), I'm not sure I understand the Filipino mentality. This was one of my hesitations about moving to the PI (besides the ever-present humidity). I was worried about feeling isolated and pining for Western values, opinions, etc. So I'm delighted to know that there's a sizeable expat community in Dumaguete. It would make me feel less homesick...

Angela

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Welcome!

:smile: -Hi Angela, Jack P. just saying Hi and welcome to DI. As DG has said, there are very few ex-Pat ladies on DI but of course most of us Ex-Pats have Wives, that are exposed to Western values, either through us (The Husband) or travel with us. We have also ladies, like Josephine, Reedee, to name just 2, who are Pinoy but like you, live abroad. I am sure, that any lady Type question will be answered by them at some stage. Of course, not Forgetting Rechel (Rhoodys good lady) who I am sure will help all she can with some advice and insight.
    I hope you enjoy your stay with us and things go well for you.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Angela, welcome to the forum. I hope we can be helpful while you decide your transition. I love Paris, dining and shopping is great and you will miss that here. As JackP indicated, forum members can be very helpful so don't be shy asking questions.
    Je te dis merde

6. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Dumaguete in probably many ways is like a small town in France. There are better things to be had if you venture to the bigger cities now and then.

It just depends what you like to do with your time at your age. There is lots of ocean to enjoy of course, and I would guess some ladies clubs? I am told the books at Silliman Library are very old, but there are bokstores in town.

Keep in mind that though there are numerous cities/towns to be seen if you look at a map of Negros, there are only about 4 of any size and development on the entire island.

If you can travel between Paris and Dgte every 6 mos or so, that helps to keep one place from becoming too routine.

Small towns lose their shine after awhile...N'est ce pas?

7. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Small correction, Reedee is a white American lady whose husband is Filipino, maybe you had someone else in mind.

And Angela there are a good number of shall we say, "re-pats" Filipinos who lived and worked abroad and then came back to the Philippines to retire ( sounds like your mother may be one of them). Again, these are generally of retirement age so maybe not in your age group but some have older husbands and came when he retired.

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :o Thank You for the Correction DG.

This could make it even better for you Angela. Boot on the other foot so to Speak.

Jack P.:smile:

9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Angela, 12 years in Paris is a long time, could be that Dumaguete may take some adjusting too. Like what was suggested, maybe six month trial might be a good idea especially if you are a younger person and don't speak Tagalog.......JB

10. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    That's an valid concern which keeps us reaching out to share the experience. My wife & I see a variety of adjustments by foreigners here, some go native while some others find fault with most things local. I trust we're somewhere in between.

Take what you like from the culture, we skip the superstition and delicadeza in most interactions and just keep smiling. It's a good bet that you'll enjoy life here. BTW, look for Balikbayan shippers from France as you'll soon be needing them!