Dumaguete Info Search

Feeding life animals in Zoo Paradise

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by earlmj, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Feeding live animals in the zoo

>>>>>

Yes, I've heard about this disgusting news feeding live puppies, kittens, goats, etc, etc. These people that run the zoo claimed they use dead animals and not live to feed the crocs, snakes, etc. I don't really know how true this is, but I don't believe until somebody does some investigation and report it to this board. I agree with you they should be penalized or put in jail if they are doing inhumane to animals. I myself is a member of Humane Society of U. S. (HSUS). I have 2 cats of my own besides feeding strays. It's also a great idea to write the local newspaper and expose their atrocious behaviour toward the animals. :(

2. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I posted on the sun star newspaper site, because it is true, take it from me, whatever they say they are lying, I was there looking at a live cat in the cage with the snake.

3. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just curious...and at the same time playing "devil's advocate". :smile:

What animals are ok to feed live, if any?

Isn't it common practice to feed live mice to captive snakes. So I am wondering where the line is drawn.

Mouse?
    Rat?
    Hamster?
    Guinea Pig?
    Cat?
    Dog?
    Chicken?
    Goat?

I say captive because animals in the wild would be in its own class since that is nature/natural.

I vague remember something about animals needing to be alive when feeding to a snake. I can't recall why and if that applies to other animals.

4. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Yes, you are quite right, but got to remember that the zoo is not going to release those animals, so they do not need to be fed in that way. Yes in the wild they capture live food, the law of the jungle, but in a zoo there is no need, PLUS the public should not be exposed to it, especially children. But I know where you are coming from wak wak on this.

I MIGHT have actual video footage of this kitten with the snake, but cannot recall if I had footage but I will have a look through my videos and if I have it I will post it up somewhere, I have a youtube account so I can do it. If I have a clip you guys will be the first to know, but believe me it is true, its not a put up job, I saw it.

5. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    follow up

Dear PHit ,
    I am both glad and yet sad with your horrible eye witness story.. Some at the forum believe It was staged ( lets ask the goat and the kitten!!) and also believe that the forum is not the place to write about these. things.
    1. A forum is to gain informatyion either good or bad.
    2. the forum is about DUMA and the neighborhood and that includes the "Zoo ".
    SHOULD WE ONLY TELL EVERYBODY IT's PARADISE on EARTH ??

Are we supposed to stick our neck in the sand and pretent all is well ??
    The Philippines do not wish to be called anylonger a "thïrth World Country "
    I come from Europe and am a professional intermediary for my Governement giving funds for innovative ideas this time for Negros.developments in many areasIt is mend for joint ventures between Europena businessmen and local ones
    The Europeans ( and there fore the businessmen as well) have a certain profile about the Philppines beside the ones I wil not post this time , cruelty to animals is one of them.
    I do believe that programs like XXX and others greatly help to the awakening of the AWARENESS of people here .
    Amoung others CIVILISATION starts here..!!!

I had a case in court here in Manila where I live untill April untill I come over to DUMA against a "Lady " that disposted of a kitten by putting it ALIFE WITHIN the PLASTIC Basura bag.. I WON that case as there is and ACT against cruelly implementated and the jugde set this example.

And yes I will vist the animalloiving Director of the Zoo myself to see whether he i is able to adapt .

Any more stories of Eye widnesses I welccome though with pain in my heart

6. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Besides standing for the welfare of animals, you certainly are an animal lover by nature. I salute you for all the things you're going to do in behalf of the animals that are about to be fed to animals in the zoo. You are a "go-getter".

7. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the reason is snakes in general will not eat a dead mouse. If it is then one trick is you would need to move it around to trick the snake. Then the snake's instincts kick in and it eats. That is one thing I have heard.

It seems like there are different types of objections:

1. Feeding live animals to the zoo animal.

2. What animal (food) is being fed to the zoo animal. Do we object to the cute ones, like kittens, being food?

3. The feeding occurring in the public eye.

Opinions could vary depending on the combinations above.
    Example: Someone may be opposed to live feed in public, but dead feed in public might be ok to that person.

Some kids and adults might like to see live animals being fed to get a taste of nature/the food chain. What if there was a compromise between those that do or do not want to see that? Like if there was a noon time show in which they do live feed and anyone that wants to see could view.

I am trying to get a feel for where people are coming from in this thread. From a logical point of view, not emotional. Maybe it is all emotional. :confused: Some of it may be cultural too. A country whose people eats cats may think we are barbaric for eating cows. That falls under the category of what people eat, but I am using it to make a point about culture. Another is people in the US might think it is barbaric to cut off a chicken's head in your backyard, cook it up and eat it (not the head)....instead of buying it dead in the store. That is along the lines of live food versus already dead food.....well kind of live, but we aren't snakes. :wink:

I don't really have an opinion regarding this. Especially since it is happening in another country in which I was not born. Just trying to understand all points of view on this. Plus I like to inject other points of view into a discussion. :smile:

8. Goth

Goth DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Earl, you are a good man and I salute your endeavors. I hope you will convince the proper authorities to shut down the said Zoo. Have you heard they have cockfighting arena in almost every municipality?

9. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    some remarks

For Wak-Wak.. You are right some counties call killing animal "culture "In Korea hey also eat Dogs , although they will claim they don,t . The meat taste the best when you stangle the dog or hang him to choke to dead Loosing appitate guys ???
    Yes , Wak wak , snakes eat mostly live food , trust me I am not against that ,but it should NOT BE DONE IN FRONT OF CHILDREN... it hardly can be seen as an educational thing , right ??
    In Spain , Europe ( I come from the Netherlands) Bullfiights that take 15 minutes are also cruel and the Bull is mostly the looser . well if he is
    " Enduro " he "wins " but is still butchered an hour later... Not in the Arena.

Foie de Gras is the Liver of a goose , that is abnormal large as the goose are ONLy drinking very very salt water... and are mostly have their feet tight together..Not able to walk and FORCE to eat.. slalty again. This having place in LA BELLE FRANCE .. And it is fully legal ( that is in France)
    Atleast in The Netherlands all these products like Foie Gras ( goose liver Pate) and furs coat made out of Gay Wolf ( nothing gay about is is a strangled to dead Korean Dog !!) are BANNED . And.. in so many other countries as well.
    The topic was something going on at a TOURIST and childerens attaction in Zamboanguita , something we OURSELVES could do something about. Sorry i would dedicate my remaining natural life to fight the unfeightaable wrong , but if I are as it seems now more and more clear WE !! can do atleast something.. then it is atleast a small step forward...

For Goth , Yes I am aware of that as well WHO ISSN.T ???
    And Yes Goth , you see a forum is of importance to all , and any subject , as we can see atleast we are haveing an OPEN FORUM discussion . IT WORKS !!

For Goth , Yes Cockfighting

10. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Some remarks 2

It seems that I have more to write and say then that the reply to the tread ables me to.
    Goth : Cockfighting is a "culture " thing here on which many people have the same thoughts and feelings as with the topic here mentioned.

What is CULTURE should then be the next question..

I believe that amoungst others it has something to do with native dances , am I right ? Can killing of animals FOR FUN be culture ? Untill recently , and according to some still is happening eating human flesh is still a culture thing in remote places in the Indonesian Archipelago and the Amazone rainforrest Boys can only become inaugurated as men if they have killed somebody and take taken part of the BBQ afterwards...

Do you know what BLACK CHICKEN is ? Ever tried it ?, Its a "culture thing " in North Luzon same as STILL eatind dog . The chicken is beated to dead , slowly ofcourse so it has many internal bleadings and the JUICY meat turns black while preparing it .How about MONKEY DINER ?? My stomage truns upside down thinking of it all
    I have brought the subject of the "ZOO "to everybodies attention as it is a local thing and perhaps , lets pray for it , something we can take care of easy. As always , I welcome all input from all of you either possitive or negative..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.