Dumaguete Info Search

Feeding life animals in Zoo Paradise

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by earlmj, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I think its fair to say that when it comes to animal welfare, the gap between Western and filipino values is very wide. like my nephew one time he took a birds nest out of a tree threw away the nest and wanted to keep the egg, I gave him a "roasting" (excuse the pun) I then sat him down and taught him why it was wrong and to appreciate the things in nature. Its only education, but not just education , but a moral obligation, to look after and conserve nature, for tomorrow. A social education is just as important as academic. How to behave.

2. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think feeding a live mouse to a snake can be educational for children. Much like viewing a nature show on TV. Not for every child to see, but that is for the parent(s) to decide. It can be a new real life experience that expands their knowledge of the food chain, etc.

Saw a video of this in high school Spanish class. Not what I thought it would be. Others stab spears in the neck so the head is down. Hardly what I call a fair fight. One on one would be more honorable, in my opinion. Certainly nothing like in the Bugs Bunny cartoons.

I think part of the culture aspect is survival and one's environment. If you are out in remote areas and nothing else to eat but nature, then guess what will be eaten. Not that a lot of Filipinos are in that situation, but they are less removed from it. Go to a street market and see the fresh kills of the day. Their neighbor could be raising animals for consumption too. Also I think they don't wonder how the animal might feel. They just do it.

People in the US are at the other end. They buy their meat pre-killed and packaged. There is no connection to what that animal was fed and how it ended up in the store. I think some political correctness plays a role in this too.

3. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    some more remarks

A lot of what you say is corrcet. certainly about the bull coming to his end.
    AWARENESS is the keyword here !!

Nowadys in Europe and easier for me to say in the Netherlands since I come from there , the BIO INDUSTRY is going to be fade out. Already some 20 or even more years ALL eggs you buy are from FREE LAYING Chicken that can choose where to drop the egg at certain asigned places. They have plenty of room to walk and "tok tok " around. One comes to know that the eggs taste much better this way as well. Same is for the Hogs and other "supliers "of animal proteine.. They now wonder freely around same as on small scale farms here.
    It is an issue that HOW to put an animal down that is raising a lot of questions. The law in most countries prevents in killing causing pain. In othere words all animals should be in a "humane "way in a split second. No need to tell here how , what where and who.

4. waterbaby74

waterbaby74 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CHECK OUT THIS STORY!

Gulfnews.com

Published: 10/02/2006 12:00 AM (UAE)

Footage of crocodile being fed a live goat shocks sensitivities
    By Gilbert Felongco, Correspondent

Manila: A video of a live goat being fed to a crocodile at a Central Philippines zoo has shocked local sensibilities and casts light on how local zoos regard animal welfare.

Last week, a television network showed a video of a large crocodile being fed with a live goat at the Zamboanguita Zoo Paradise World in Negros Occidental.

While the video was supposedly aimed at bringing to the public's attention condition of the animals at the zoo, the incident instead brought to the fore the manner how prey and predator (in this case, the crocodile and the goat) had been pitted against each other apparently for "entertainment."

"It was an assault to the sensitivity of the people," provincial board member Arturo Umbac was quoted by the daily Sunstar as he described the televised footage. Umbac said the footage reminded him of ancient Rome when people were entertained by watching people kill each other.

The public official said he believed those who took the footage of the goat being eaten by the crocodile should be punished for violating laws safeguarding animal rights.

Local network

The footage was aired by a local network on September 22 in a television programme. In that film clip, a live goat was seen thrashing about as it desperately tries to escape from the crocodile's jaws‚ death grip. Zamboangita Zoo Paradise World for its part, had denied that it feeds live animals to the creatures.

Dominga Responso, manager of the Zoo Paradise World, said the television crew who made the video was the one who fed the goat to the crocodile. "They were behind that feeding, not us," the report quoted her as saying.

Responso narrated that several weeks before the incident, a zoo visitor who introduced himself as Regie de Asis had insisted on buying a live dog to feed to the crocodiles. Responso said the zoo management denied his request. She said that because De Asis could not find and buy a live dog, he allegedly bought a live cat and fed it to the crocodiles in her presence.

Last August 27, Responso said De Asis returned to the zoo again as a guest and handed over money to buy a dog that will be fed to the crocodiles.

The zoo manager said they did not allow him to do so. The guest later left the zoo. She said she was surprised that when De Asis came back bringing with him a police team from Zamboanguita to investigate her for alleged violation of the Animal Welfare Act.

5. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The zoo is saying they had nothing to do with the goat being fed to it. So any visitor can just walk through the zoo entrance with a goat? :rolleyes:

6. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    If one realy can walk into a ZOO with a goat on a lease then for sure it is
    ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES.
    Beside that I have now even an Attorney at law that was eye witness of it all , and foootage of kitten feeding to the Python snake.. So one hardly can belive it was a once in a lifetime event ( But is sure was for all the dogs, cats and this goat)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.