Dumaguete Info Search

First time in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Sonja, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devs

Devs DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rhoody, I was thinking that maybe you have to lodge overnight somewhere near Sumilon in order to optimize the daytour fee to this island. The travel time from Dumaguete to Sumilon might take half daytime (4 hours), and spending another half daytime at Sumilon might not be worth it if the daytour fee is "expensive". If the daytour fee is just around P100, then it is fine to spend a few hours on the island.

The same thing with Bais, when coming from Dumaguete. The dolphin tour is best early morning... and the sandbar is just a sidetrip after dolphin watching. So with me, I would travel to Bais in the afternoon and stay there overnight. Tour early morning, and after lunch go back to Dumaguete.

2. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    that BLUE WATER resort should win an award
    "most overpriced characterless resort in Asia"

3. Melvin Tinklehopper

Melvin Tinklehopper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just don't stay at the Crossbar Hotel, jeesh what bad room service.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Devs,
    are you sure we talk about the same Island? Sumilon is a small tiny Island next to Cebu, you need max.60 minutes with the bangka from Dumaguete, 90 from Dauin. If you dont pay the high resort-entrance fee you can stay on a few meters sandbar, and this is gone is you have high-tide.
    In 4 hours you can almost swim there...

Rhoody

5. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree that Sumilon and Bais could be dropped from the intinery. I don't see any great need to go to Sumilon snorkling if you are going to Apo. I've done a round trip to Sumilon with two dives in about 5 hours so I can't see a two day trip in it especially for someone who isn't actually diving. The dolphins aren't running in Bais and it too is just about a 1 or 2 hour bus trip depending on driving conditions. Apo is agreed as a must....world class just like your childhood dreams of a Treasure Island and really afordable... not ruined by developers. You might also want to consider renting a decent sized scooter and going up the mountain to Twin Lakes for a paddle boat ride and some great photos. It's about a 1 1/2 hour bike ride with stop along the way up the winding , steep road. Some people are into Forest Camp in adjacent Valencia. It's a mountain river park. Nice for a picnic but I find lakes and rivers a bit boring for me because I'm from Canada. Anyhow, my suggested intinery for a 3-4 day DGTE trip is Apo, Twin Lakes and a night of puking on yourself on the Boulevard in DGTE.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    The Bais - dolphin trips were canceld due to rough conditions and not many dolphins around anymore, as it is the end of the season...

cheers

Rhoody

7. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also realize that there are some who would disagree but a night at the WhyNot cafe seems to be the choice of many expats. For my tastes, it has the best food I've had outside of Canada.Their Sunday breakfast buffet is immensly popular as is Wednesday Reggae night at the Hayahay. Don't walk to the Hayahay at night from the Boulevard because it takes you through a reportedly dangerous part of town. Take a pedicab. I've never had a problem doing it but I didn't know any better when I did.

8. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Devs.... I don't think we are talking about the same island here. Sumilon is the tiny little island right straight out from the DGTE airport runway. It took my dive crew about 40 minutes by slow boat from Silliman beach.

9. Devs

Devs DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rhoody/Chuck... It's the same island alright... But what I had in mind was to travel to Sumilon by land-sea-land. Since it is possible to travel to Sumilon directly by sea, do you have any idea how much it (travel by boat) would cost? I have one day extra at Dumaguete, and I am still thinking where to go. Maybe this Sumilon island visit could be possible.

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Devs, there is nothing on Sumilon and there are no daytrips from Dumaguete there. You are not allowed to ho on the island, unless you pay the resort there, and they can organise a pick up. local boats can also bring you there, but then you stay in knee-deep water in front of the Island if it is high-tide and the security guard will not let you pass untill you pay. Sumilon is ok if you go for a day and 3 dives. Then you spend almost the whole day on the boat or underwater anyway. If you wanna have a nice day I would go to Siquijor but to Larena in the north west, spend a day or night there in one of the small places.

Rhoody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.