Dumaguete Info Search

Fishing where !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Fozzboy, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Okey, I was waiting for somebody to come forward and bring me the NEWS I was hopeing for BUT none came.
    So here is my bit, I was in the 80' on Mindoro Island and lived on a small Island of the Coast from San Jose Occ.Mindoro for 18 Months and I did a lot of Fishing then.
    So in 99' I come with my Wife to Dumaguete and I bought Fishing Gear right after arriving in Manila but up to this Day I have not been Fishing here despite the Fact that I build me a Paddel-Banca and a Trailer for my Scooter for that purpose, the main Problem is that I don't live by the Sea and that there is a strong Current running and strong Wind blowing most of the time, which are difficult to deal with.
    I have not meet anybody yet that has had any good Fishing here and also are some of the Fishing Grounds restricted for Foreigners.:o

Attached Files:

2. gelynch52ph

gelynch52ph DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would possibly build a bigger banca that would accept either an inboard motor of some kind, or put on a bracket for an outboard. Then get past the currents & fish away. Did you say you wanted restricted "FOR" foreigners only fishing like your post says?

Laguna & bass fishing is still an option if you can invest a couple days & even a trip to Tagaytay. There are fish in Taal Lake but I don't know if any sport fish.

3. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    You can spend a lot of money on Fishing, like travel far to reach the Fishing Grounds and buy and use a lot of fancy Gear but I prefer to do it the Native style with Hand held Wooden Spool and a small Paddle Banca.
    If you want some Fishing on Negros for Big Game you could probably try in Bayawan but the Tripp would cost a lot of Time and Money and would involve dealing with the Philipino Ship Owner, almost all the Big Fish comes from that stretch of Water South of Bayawan.:smile:
    And the restricted are the Foreigner! for example Apo Island is only for Philipinos.

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    This is how it's done So Cal style! Get on a long range boat out of San Diego. Go fishing in Mexico while on said state of the art fishing boat. Catch a huge Tuna that is kept frozen for you until it is unloaded back at the dock!

New Potential World Record Yellowfin Tuna - 405.2#!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. texasb

texasb DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No decent fishing spot in Negros Orriental? This should be a wake-up call for the government. Re-plant the mangrove areas and build artificial reefs: then we can start fishing say... ten years from now?

6. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Maybe I did not try hard enough, one could probably find possibilities going up north from Dumaguete, if one takes the Maayo Ferry to Cebu, you can see many small Bancas just of the Ferry Terminal and also there is supposed to be Whale watching (haven't done that yet) in the Channel between Dumaguete and Cebu and I know of some Places in Cebu where they go after Marlins, Dorado and Spanish Mackerel but it will still involve dealing with the Locals.
    Sure the Government could do more about it but what was done already in the past has been neglected and most, if not all "Bantay Dagat" Fishing Wardens have disappeared and the only successful replanting of Mangroves I know of, is done by Foreigners:rolleyes:

7. gelynch52ph

gelynch52ph DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    About 6 months ago I saw a TV show (Filipino) where some Korean student visitors were planting mangroves as part of some cultural exchange program but I really can't remember the name of the show or the location of those mangroves.

8. uglystick

uglystick DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What's the latest on Forest Camp's Fishpond? Thanks.

9. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hmmm. Barramundi...hands down...the best eating fish there is...(my biased opinion - and I often go out of my way to get some). I have often wondered why this fantastic fish species is not fish farmed to the max in the Philippines. Ideal location, weather, and....The Vietnamese are about five years ahead of you - oh slack Philippines - please turn off the OFW purchased karaoke and wake up.......Papua New Guinea is getting started now too - those half-witted 'cannibals' are eating you alive in the real world of commerce.

Tilapia is unpleasant droll sh*t compared to Barra's. Milkfish is more work than the ordinary taste is worth...Nothing like Barra's. Philippines window of opportunity, of remotely feeding itself, is just about closed....Never mind, all your congressmen and most of the congress-women have property and assets overseas now....When you are eating grass - maybe they will send you pictures of their nice California mansions...

10. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Barramundi are excellent eating, but there are problems associated with propagating them in the Philippines that need to be overcome. The lack of broodstock and fingerlings and convincing the locals that they are cost effective to raise.

I agree that Milkfish is over rated. The key to good tasting Tilapia is the quality of the water it is raised in and their diet. Poor quality water plus poor quality diet equals poor tasting fish, no matter what the species is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.