Dumaguete Info Search

Flooding in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by israelidancer, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterspring

winterspring DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Taking a look at the affected families and hearing a lot of stories definitely broke my heart. We have a lot of neighbors who lose their shelter last Jan.1 and again, on this February tragedy. I really can't imagine how much trouble they've been through. When I was on my way to work at that time, I saw a lot of houses (in Lower Junob i guess) that flood water had reached half of the roof already.. That's the time that I really jerked with tears! And the scenario in Angatan's Banica River really added my unhappiness. I just hope everyone will be able to move on especially those people who lose their houses and even their love ones. I pray for everybody's safety. God bless us all.

2. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    When I read the 2 posts before this I need to shake my head. Praying won't help anybody and god won't build any houses.

Proper City planning and a better drainage might help. I wonder that all "new" roads are flooded whenever a dog wees against a tree. Have a look between the Cathedral and Quezon Park when it rains longer than 10 minutes...

3. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    So very sorry to hear....

It sounds very sad for the people there.. I know I just had the same problem with my wifes family.. I had to move them to my house. I will pray that things work out everyone..

4. vangie

vangie DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Aftermath the Flood.....My future?

Well, just wanted to share my feelings how much the desaster affected my plans retiring in Dgte. in the near future? Just resently i bought a land in Ajong Sibulan very close to the sea. Very beautiful area where there are already few foreigners living there with modern high standard of house style archetechture. I`m living abroad and buying that land was supposed to be my retirement place someday somehow. I was very happy of it until i heard see and read all what happened in Dumaguete and other places around and most of it Sibulan as well. I received information that the land i bought was also underwater and the houses there was affected too. Now i dont know how to think of my future plans there. I`m very apprehensive to make decessions now. The lot cost me a bit of millions Pesos! I`ts not funny for me anymore. Please............give me some warming advice.........

5. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Maybe you'd consider building a house elevated by concrete stilts?

6. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Or maybe a boat house that is ready to float anytime. Isn't that cool? If I can afford it, I'd want to have a boat house. It's been predicted that the Negros island will be under water in the coming years. Isn't it a good idea then to build boat houses now to be ready for that time when the island will be under water?

7. vangie

vangie DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After all life still go on....

Thank you guys....for hearing my thoughts . I do really appreciate some warming and calming advice to keep me alive and kicking thinking of my future
    plans ( Dumaguete) the place where i consider to be my lifetime resting paradise. I`d been almost all over in the world and been 20 years away from my origin (Philippines) but i can only say there is no place like where you came
    and born.The warm and smiling friendly people still lies in the blood of the filipino which makes me always homesick and finally i come to decision to live and die where i came from and that is in Dumaguete.Well, when mother nature calls no one can stop it but yes it can prevented. You are right i have to consider good planning when building my home especially it is closeby the seashore.:smile:

8. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Depend A little of what you really Desire. You can elevate your house up,(like mine) or you can get another lot, less sensitive to this kinda weather.
    Anyway your lot now probably is more valued than a lot more far from the sea( and not totally flat like yours)

Attached Files:

9. cutlery

cutlery DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone posts photos of the submerged roads in dumaguete last feb 7? I wasn't able to witness how water fills the roads in downtown areas... or any other areas... thanks

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.