Dumaguete Info Search

Foreigner drowning in Valencia

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Manzanita, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    I'd like to apologize for the fact that I mentioned that Mr Harvey's wife was one of the occupants of the vehicle, in fact she wasn't, she met a friend of mine in Sibulan police station on Tuesday afternoon. Apologies again.

2. OP
    OP
    Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Same here, apologies to anyone offended.

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    KTM, I'm also sorry, a police friend told me right after the accident it was Mr and Mrs Harvey, I wanted to give my condolence to the family. then I learned the facts were not correct. Again my condolence to the family and my apology for my mistake.
    Ron

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    As is normal, the press here also had the info incorrect.

Larry

5. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Negros news leader

I hate to come back to this terrible accident.
    Reason why I do is to get CORRECT information about this accident.

On Nov. 15, so 6 days after the accident has taken place, I get to see a text fragment from the Negros Chronicle.
    It could be however that the date is taken from the day it was published on another forum I follow.
    Let's really hope that this was the text they made the very same day it happened but even then they have to learn a lot. This curls my toes.:mad:
    The fragment was 'supported' by a picture of the (a ?) crashed car (multicab ?) in a (Okoy ?) river.
    So I am very confused. Here it is and read the differences with what has been cristalised so far on our own DI-forum:
    Sorry for reminding to this tragedy. I just try to clear things.

"15 Nov. French couple killed by flood.

Posted by Negros Chronicle Published in Crime Week | 128 views

The infamous Buayahan spillway straddling the Okoy River in Palinpinon Valencia has claimed its newest victims following a flashflood that swept a French national and his Filipina partner to their deaths at 4:00 AM, Tuesday.

The latest fatalities are 60-year-old French national Russel Harvey and his partner Genara Cua both of Malabo, Valencia and whose cadavers were eventually recovered in Sibulan by rescuers and local policemen.

Witnesses say that the couple tried to cross the Buayahan Spillway amid raging floodwaters of Okoy River which overwhelmed the multi-cab they were riding.

Local officials acknowledge the everyday concern of their constituents and visitors who regard the Buayahan spillway, which connects Dumaguete City to the villages hosting the geothermal power plants, as unsafe owing to its design and location. Dozens have already lost their lives due to the unpredictable behavior of the river and the defective spillway.

Longtime residents of Palinpinon and nearby villages have been clamoring for their officials to prioritize the construction of a bridge that would be high enough so that floodwaters would not easily deem it impassable and dangerous to travelers."

6. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Don't believe everything that Elie Dejarasco and his merry men/women tell you.

He was an American, ask Shadow, they got the part about that spillway, the multi-cab and his mistress right though.

He was found the same day, the lady the next day and only parts of the multi-cab so far.

If you are interested to watch what's happening in this province, ABS-CBN has the Region-7 news starting everyday at 5:30pm.

Unfortunately, it's not in English, but if you've lived here long enough you can get the general gist of it. If not, just ask the wife/G.F./mistress etc to translate.

7. jellyfish

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Thanks a lot KTM.
    I take your version for true.
    So not 3, not 1 but 2 persons were involved in the drowning.
    That he was NOT a French National, I knew for sure.
    I got many different stories fom various sources.
    I know that we have to be carefull with information received.
    From official sources I expect however good check-up and cautiousness when 'facts' are not yet verified.

8. OP
    OP
    Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Hey Jellyfish, you know from reading this thread that relatives of the deceased Mr. Harvey are very much aware of this thread and have posted on it asking for information.

Why do you have to link an article with a horrible photograph of the cadaver before it was recovered?

You even said yourself that the article is inaccurate, but yet you posted it anyway.

I'll flag your post for a moderator to check, and hopefully he'll delete it.

9. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Personally, I don't think that JF was the one at fault here, he was merely showing an inaccuracy of Neg. Chron's reporting of the tragedy. Mr Dejarasco is the editor in charge over on EJ Blanco, perhaps you'd be better complaining to him. ABS-CBN showed much worse on their TV news broadcast.
    Ghoulishness seems to be extremely pervasive in society in this country, just look at the amount of 'rubberneckers' after road accidents, shootings etc etc. IMHO, merely wanting things such as distasteful or distressful photographs hidden from public view, isn't going to make the press stop publishing them. Have a word with them as well as the moderators, if you really feel that strongly.

10. jellyfish

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Manzanita, I just have sent you a PM.
    I do find that more appropriate now than putting my reaction in a post.
    Thanks for your support KTM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.