Dumaguete Info Search

Forest Camp

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by reedee, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi all,
    I definitely want to visit Forest Camp pretty soon after we move to Dumaguete, however, I am wondering how difficult it will be for my husband, who has COPD and sometimes needs a wheelchair and oxygen, to get around? I am thinking if we can find a nice shady picnic area to get him situated (with his crossword puzzles, etc...), then our daughter and I can explore the rest of Forest Camp....it looks like there may be alot of walking to do and I don't think my husband can do it, but I don't want to go without him.

2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    The road to the camp is pretty rough but accessable by pedicab and car. Once there they have a cantina where they sell cooked or packaged goods and drinks. There is a middle area set up with about six or seven tables which is pretty shaded but of course first come, first served. At least two stone BBQ pits are available. Close by is a stone kiddie pool and two larger pools where he may want to park to watch the swimmers. The rest is trails, fields and a small river/brook to explore and climb. I would show some pics but all I have are video which I have not learned to extract stills from yet. There are also small cottages and one large pavillion available for rent.

3. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Forest Camp

Thanks for the helpful info, Pedro!!

4. highway_61

highway_61 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you think the road up to Forest Camp is 'pretty rough', then you just haven't got that much experience of provincial roads in the Philippines. Compared to the road up to the Twin Lakes 20km away, which in itself isn't all that bad, it's like a German autobahn.

Forest Camp is a developed and highly user-friendly piece of tourist infrastructure by the standards of the Philippines.

5. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    The question was not what is the roughest road to travel on but how accessable is the road to Forest Camp for someone who is wheel chair bound. So do you have a suggestion or comment about that, lets hear it?

6. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    wheelchair accessibility in Forest Camp

Thanks for the clarification, Pedro, but my actual question is how is wheelchair accessibility inside Forest Camp itself? But, if there are places where my husband can perch himself while my daughter and I explore Forest Camp, that will be good. As long as he can hang out in a nice covered area, he will be happy.

7. highway_61

highway_61 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    like I said, Forest Camp is a highly developed and well-maintained piece of tourist infrastructure by the standards of the Philippines. At least in dry weather, you won't have too many problems with a wheelchair, and there are numerous places to park one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.