Dumaguete Info Search

Former Military Disappointment

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PatO, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey, I have a question for you military types. I met a guy five years or so ago in a bar there by the name of Jesus, he was Filipino American with family in Dumaguete. He was a small and wiry, looked like a trike driver. They lived in Baybay actually I went to visit them there. Had a cute wife and daughter. He was about 40 and ex military. Claimed to be some kind of ex marine special forces also a medic. Had all kinds of hell raising stories. I never knew what to make of him but I liked him. The last I heard from him they had moved to Thailand and I lost his email. Ring a bell with anyone?

2. navytexan

navytexan DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just let me say that I am not a "Navy Seal" nor do I plan on becoming a "navy Seal" . I know personnally a handful of friends that are retired "Navy Seal's" and from what I know of them they would just rather be known as "Retired Navy" . Problem is once you lable yourself as a "Seal" your a target for some dumb*** to try and make his mark. I cannot remark on other special forces of the military but I know allot about the different special forces programs of the U.S. Navy. I worked with many of them over my 20 something years of service.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Something I don't understand about certain people claiming to have been this or that, in 'another life':-
    Long time ago I served in the British army, (as did both my elder brothers), in whatever discipline/s isn't relevant. The friends/comrades I/we had, who were extremely 'able' and 'privileged' enough to be selected, to serve in 'special ops', certainly never have, nor ever would, boast about having been in them.
    Must be an American style phenomena, as I've never heard anyone in town ever boasting to have been in the SAS, SBS, (or the more recent SSR, SFSG etc).
    Perhaps there are enough actual ex-British army personnel here, who can actually tell if someone is b*llsh*tting or not.

4. boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Reading your post, I find one major hole in his story. The Marines on this board can correct me if I am wrong, however it is my understanding that medics are provided to the Marine Corp by the Navy in the form of Navy Corpmen. If he is claiming to be a Marine medic then I would really question the validity of his story.

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I salute all of our military, from "special forces" to the cook in the mess hall. All provide a very valuable service for their country and it is MUCH appreciated! :D

6. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your absolutely right and that is what he told me, that he was a corpman assigned to the Marines. The story was a bit complicated for me to follow but I remember that now...hey, thanks for reading it and taking the time to reply. I really did get a kick out of the guy.

7. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I so concur with Knowdafish. I am not ex-military, but My Son served two tours in Iraq as a Proud Marine. For those that need to BS their way to a free SML, stay awake at night, as a father or Mother for months on end. Wondering and worrying. Enjoy the forum of free speech that My Son and so many Son's and Daughters around the world provided for You, enjoy that cold beer. But than I digress.

tom

8. navytexan

navytexan DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Navy Hospital Corps is the most decorated segment of the United States Military. One only needs to walk the halls of any Naval Hospital to see the placks that seem to go on forever. If you stop and read just a few, you would be amazed at the bravery and the unselfish dedication that the Navy Corpsmen have shown in war. 22 Navy Hospital Corpsmen have received the Medal of Honor since the formation of the Hospital Corps.

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    After a few complaints by DI members and a 3 line chat with the Dane we decided to close that "I am a green beret" " no you are not" stuff.

You will be able to find enough space for discussions on one of the following websites:

forum us army - Hanapin sa Google

thanks for understanding

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.