Dumaguete Info Search

Found out Dgte resident friend's been robbed twice

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by ViperACR, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I lived in Michigan many moons ago, and have to agree with you on that! Barry Sanders was smart to retire at the top of his game. He knew they weren't going anywhere. :D

Watching the Tigers fall apart in the World Series was also painful. :(

2. TUYOM

TUYOM DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 4
    visayas how many days are there in a moon?

3. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You call that information THE TRUTH because it comes from government sources. But are you sure about that, that it is the truth? Those groups have there own agendas to push, and could be slanting the information. The government could be trying to show that a threat exists and they're doing something about it for their citizens (or foreign investments), the police could be embelishing the threat to get more funding, and the media wants to sell newspapers. Sounds similar to what happened in the States.

You also posted an article 2 years old about a planned attack on the Valencia power plant. It sounded iminent. Did that ever happen? I haven't seen any reports about an actual attack. That's one example of a questionable report.

I am not discounting the threat of the NPA, but it should be put into perspective, and I think your overselling it.

You and Viper really like that term "rose-colored glasses":rolleyes:

4. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Vote death toll mounts in Philippines

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 10:00 AM

"MANILA (AFP) - The death toll from election-related violence in the Philippines has risen to 126, police said Tuesday, as vote workers tallied ballots from the country's mid-term polls.

Two teachers were killed early Tuesday when five unidentified men burned down their school in the town of Taysan south of Manila, which was a polling place for Monday's elections, said Chief Superintendent Nicasio Radovan.

The man set fire to a ballot box, but the flames quickly spread, engulfing the school and killing the teachers, who were working as vote counters.

Television reports also said a policeman guarding ballot boxes in northern Ilocos Norte province was shot dead late Monday, after polls had closed.

Elsewhere, a town councillor running for re-election in the southern town of Maitum was shot dead in front of his house ahead of election day, police said.

The Philippine national police said 126 people had been killed and 148 others wounded in violence leading up to and during Monday's polls, which saw millions vote for congressmen, half the Senate and some 17,000 local posts."

Philippine Star - Articles - -

5. OP
    OP
    ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    More facts have come to light, directly from the victim..

He withdrew $10,000USD from PNB around 10am to pay for a land purchase, and what-do-you-know but some guys followed his vehicle from PNB to the parking lot across the street from the mayor's house and robbed him when he parked.

They tried to shoot the victim, but the gun misfired. Local men in a nearby easyride did nothing to help.

The victim is convinced PNB mangerial types were involved.

After considering prosecuting the robbery suspects, discretion intervened. But the perps are none the less no longer walking the planet.

Perps were from a gang operating out of Zamboanguita.

The victim's second encoutner was just bad luck at the hands of a bunch waiting near Ecoville on Valencia Road for whoever came along. In fact there were a couple foreigners right behind who were stopped and shot. One thru the arm.

One fellow told me today ANYTIME he's due to pay large sums of cash, the sellers are to meet him at his bank, rather than him walking out with it.

I haven't been back to this thread since I first posted, nor haven't read thru the pages of replies, but wanted to add a little bit :smile:

6. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are you honestly stupid enough to believe what you just posted?!

You're saying the Philippine National Police are going to LIE and make the crime and insurgent problem out to be MUCH worse than it actually is, in order to give citizens and foreign investors greater confidence?! :rolleyes:

Anybody with common sense knows that the only thing which is going to give them greater confidence, is to show people that crime is being REDUCED!

And since you don't read very well---the article on the planned attack on the Valencia power plant CLEARLY STATED that the attack was FOILED by the authorities, BEFORE the terrorists could pull it off. THAT'S why it never happened! :rolleyes:

Sheesh, your post is almost as ignorant as Tom and his childish name-calling.

7. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the update, Viper.

8. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As soon as I find you a brain donor and a brain surgeon to give you a much needed brain, you'll be able to figure that out for yourself! :D :p

9. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    The payment of the adjacent lots we bought were done by my father on our behalf .Knowing the threat involve in carrying big amount of money poses great risk which should be readily avoided.We don't do that here carrying huge amount of cash ,so this should apply anywhere you go.My father did withdrew the money inside the bank and all the payment arrangements were done within secured indoor premises of the bank too.They were done within the BPI bank .And the two occasions were all done smoothly.

There was documented scam of last yr of an older lady withdrawing some amount of P450,000 cash (if i wasn't wrong with this figure) inside the PNB .When she came out she was met by a woman then later a man ,to cut short the story it was too late she realized she lost all her money that day . For a normal filipino,that was a relatively huge amount to loose out. It is similar to loosing ones life too, a deeply traumatic experience for someone living a hard life.

This subject about the use of cell phones inside the bank was a highly disputed issue and still not resolve until now. With some noted incidents of robberies and scamming occuring of unsuspecting victims coming out from this bank with large amount of money,should be looked into by crime investigators .Dumaguete should have this existing unit .I agree and have also this suspicion that there could possibly be an inside job involve on the basis of these few robberies/scamming crimes happening just outside the PNB. Because only the teller or bank workers would have certain knowledge of who's who has withdrawn huge amount of cash ,apart from some people cueing up who can get a glance of . THE USED OF CELL PHONES INSIDE BANKS SHOULD BE BANNED ! This applies to clients and workers for some period of time and should be closely monitored .These few crimes that happened should have high priority investigation and not treated as one off incidents .If technology allows should have like spying devices and what they have to dig out , expose the possible culprit lurking in disguise as worker in the PNB .Apparently it is only the PNB that deals with travellers cheques in other currencies like pound sterling ,so far i know of since the last time.Apart from this I have bad experience in the PNB,as services were too slow and so packed up with people inside cueing for hours and hours ,like sardines . Take note of the PNB and better be careful than never .

...the threat aren't NPA's but these type of criminals.

10. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hate to ask....but don't they have bank cheques in the Philippines? I'd be a little apprehensive about carrying huge amounts of cash here....anything more than a couple thousand and a bank cheque is the only way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.