Dumaguete Info Search

Found out Dgte resident friend's been robbed twice

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by ViperACR, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I didn't say that. You posted articles from different agencies including the police. Each group could exaggerate the threat for their own purposes, Everyone has an agenda, even the PNP and government agencies, and to not recognize that those articles carry one is also not realistic.

For the police, they could be magnifying the threat to get more funding from their government. This was the title of one of your articles (VGO-NEWS .::. The Official Publication of the Vice-Governors Office) that you failed to copy:

"Intelligence fund sought from mayors"
    PNP Director P/SSupt. Arturo Evangelista asserts the role of local chief executives in fighting crime even as he slams the lack of intelligence funding from local government units (LGUs).

The local government agencies could be using the handling of the threat as a distraction to their citizens from the real civic problems,such roads, electricity, schooling etc...

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I thought unless you are directly holding an account in any Philippine banks then you can have access to bank cheques .But like us who are only staying for shorter period, maximum stay at most times of our visits is normally runs only in 4 weeks ,we don't use our UK bank cheques in the Philippines .Clearance procedures takes ages.What we used to do is mixture of using visa cards,ATMs,bit of travellers cheques, hidden cash but not huge amount.There's better exchange rate though in cash currencies than traveller's cheques.But holding big cash poses some risk if travelling around and one needs to be really careful.

About leaving money /valuables in hotel safe .

You can't put your 100% trust leaving big amount of money and valuables in hotel safe .I know some don't find it a problem .But perhaps due to our bad experience before it get us reluctant with this idea.We have experienced worst whilst travelling in Bali long time ago,not the Philippines .Though i have read some news of tourist in Manila loosing large amount of money left in hotel safe,or another tourist loosing thousands of $ in his hotel room.Why the hell carrying such amount and taking only with less care.Once items or money are lost ,then it's lost ,period.You can't stay in one place and ask the police to dig out who the theives are , it will take a lifetime of you in the philippines ,waste of precious time.Just let your insurance answer it for you.

3. Joanne

Joanne DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    very helpful stories

Guys, no matter how different your views on the topic of crimes in PI, that helps visitors, tourist to be more careful. I am planning to visit Dumaguete last quartert this year, I live Manila and I can say that I am very much exposed to the muggers, snatcher and crocodile government official... and with your post..I can say I can survive Dumaguete:wink: , I guess all places where there is an opportunity for this criminal to do crime will not be safe nor free.....

Thanks for the post at least that gives idea for travelers....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.