Dumaguete Info Search

Fresh coriander/cilantro

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by reedee, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks!!

The few times I have checked at the Hypermart, no luck. Is it one of those small, styrofoam covered-in-plastic tray in the refrigerated section, or out with the fresh produce? I will check out the market by the Provencial Hospital, too.
    Thanks for the help!! Good to know that if I look around, I might be able to find it!!

2. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    They are in styrofoam covered with plastic next to the tofu.

3. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I bought some limes when I was in Robinson's Market a couple of weeks ago, but They were listed as "Baguio Lemons".. They were in the Fridge section on the left hand side next to the fruits and veggies.....

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Hypermart and Robinsons both have coriander occasionally, wrapped in plastic/styrofoam.

In Bagacay up the Balugo road about 500 meters past the cemetery, on the right side is a gate (Green?). The guy there sells herbs, one variety being sawtooth (Thai) coriander. If you are unfamiliar with this variety, the taste and smell is nearly identical. However, it is considerably stronger than the variety you are accustomed to, and looks nothing like it. Sawtooth grows very well here, and is a hardier plant than the traditional coriander.

Free herb information - SAWTOOTH CORIANDER

Larry

5. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Herb garden

Not familiar with how to get to this place.....can you give me directions from town? I would be very interested to check out this type of coriander, I might be able to make it work. The ones you are talking about in the styrofoam packing, I have seen them and it would take so many packages of it to make my sauce and I doubt they would have that many available at one time. In the states, I am sure you are familiar with how they sell cilantro, parsley, etc.. in bunches; I need big bunches. Thanks for the info!!

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Go past hypermart about 500 meters, turn right, there will be a gas station on the corner. Follow the road to the river, and turn left before crossing the river. Follow that road about 600 to 1000 meters. There will be a wall and a gate on the right side, I think the gate is green, there should be a cardboard sign saying "herbs for sale".

Sawtooth grows very well here, much better than the type you are familiar with.

Larry

7. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Herbs

Well, if this is the road that leads to Palimpinion-Dumaguete Road, then I know exactly where this is....it is very close to my house!! Thanks, will check it out!!

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

NO! This is not the Palinpinon road, this is the Bagacay/Balugo road. It runs up the middle between Palipinon and Valencia highway.

Larry

9. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    road

Like I said, it LEADS to Palinpinion Road....at the end of this road you end up turning right or left on Palinpinion Road...yep, I know where it is.

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Ok, got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.