Dumaguete Info Search

Frog Eradication

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by PatO, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    Pat, #2 worked for us in Borneo where we were bothered at times by "bomb frogs" (don't know the real name). They leapt huge distances and if they collided with you in flight it hurt like hell. The salt seemed to make them want to jump away from us, although it was fair game at the time to capture half a dozen and put them in to a young officers sleeping bag. !!!!!!!!!

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,013 / -1
    Market stall!

:D Maybe you can open a little market stall Pat.:wink:

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / -0
    I have given up to get rid of our frogs at our place.
    Many times already my honeys son has collected them in cement bags and filled these bags more than half with frogs from only our pond and threw them over the concrete fencing into an open area.
    It's however not ending. My pond is again filled with little ones. But everywhere on our lot (near a river) are these tasty frogs :smile: :wink:
    We have 3 dogs ......and still alive.
    Sometimes a snake apears.......I think our dogs know meanwhile their friends and their ennemies :D
    Sorry PatO, cant help you as I also could not help myself.
    And .....I had them far before we made our pond !!!!
    Froglegs (not all frogs have the same type of legs hahahaha) DO taste like chicken dear Manofsteel. I did try them...did you as well ? :smile:

Attached Files:

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,013 / -1
    :wink: I certainly agree with Broadside, The salt water thing could well work, maybe Try spraying the area with Sea Water, I can't remember seeing many if any at all on the beach or near it. just a thought!

@ jelly, Nice to see you up and about, hope all is healing, Sorry to hear about your Adventure!

Jack P.

5. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / -0
    I am not up JP, but thanks. My richt arm is still OK.
    But ......it takes a while to make a posting.
    This post of PatO was to close to my own experience that I had to react.

6. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    The "frogs" referred to in this thread are actually poisonous toads Bufo marinus introduced to Negros Island way back. They lack natural predators thus their population has soared.

We used to dissect them in zoology class.

7. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +3,596 / -1
    Based on informative replys, I will try the salt water treatment. In a month I will move to my new compound but according to Jelly, even with high block walls I may encounter frogs so salt water treatment it is. Valuable input from all, thanks

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +31 / -0
    Balustre is right...they are cane toads...Bufo Marinus..and introduced in much of the world where there are sugar cane plantations to eat pests. Highly toxic though themselves...if you want a few billion more we've got them in Australia. Thankfully not in Perth...they live up north and mainly towards eastern Australia...but moving west. Tough as nails and have been wiping out native animals big-time. Snakes die that eat them...so does everything else that chews on them. They also eat baby animals, birds, reptiles, etc - anything that will fit in their mouths. A disaster everywhere they've been introduced...including Hawaii. They will sicken or kill a dog. Humans can get sensitized to the poisonous secretions. We use them in classes too...and I can't handle them anymore without gloves.
    You can go around the yard at night with a torch and something to puncture them. Those sticks with a pointed metal stem, or heavy nail, for picking up trash work pretty good. Fill up a bag and bury it somewhere.....they make good fertilizer....

9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +513 / -0
    My solution is every now and then, I offer my son and friends P1 for every frog captured and hauled in a bucket, to a vacant lot far away.
    Not sure about the bleach Idea, they seem right at home in the am, when I occasionally find them swimming around in the pool.
    Ron

10. archon_manofsteel

archon_manofsteel DI Forum Adept Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    That's disgusting jelly. Hahaha... im just about to bite a sandwich and suddenly i just lost my appetite. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.