Dumaguete Info Search

Frustrated with Globe!!

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by reedee, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    We visited Globe to inquire how much longer until we get our phone line and internet, and what they told us is "sorry, there are no lines available, you can check again in a month"!! So, what I am gleening from that, is, "we may NEVER get a line to you, but if you want to check back every 30 days you can just knock yourself out!!" It is frustrating because all of our neighbors have phones and internet through Globe. The Globe Tattoo doesn't work, however, our Globe cellphones get great reception. Kind of scared to invest more money to try the Smart Bros internet kit. So, we just pop in to one of the local internet cafe's periodically to catch up. Guess that is what we are just going to have to get used to........

2. mattchu5150

mattchu5150 DI Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 32
    That is the exact same speech they gave to me after waiting in line for 45 minutes. Since then I have decided to make the investment to Quest for my net. If you live on line, it is probably not a bad investment.

3. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Is Quest the same as the Direct tv and satellite internet company here in the states?
    I did a google for quest internet philippines and did not find anything that looked right. I did find the us company.

4. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I found a company IPstar which supposedly offers broadband by satellite at competitive prices, but would be much more likely to go with a company that someone else is using here. As soon as you can get me more info on Quest, I would appreciate it, Matthchu!! Thanks!!

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Quest is formerly IT Outlook. Their service is so great there is a rather lengthly thread about them right here on DI;

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/expat-section/outlook-high-speed-internet-2522.html

Larry

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... and due many tenth of thousands of US$ lost and useless spend, (because of the bloody lies of the owner), there won't be one single good word about him and anything he is involved on any Forum the DI-Team is only remotely connected with ...

7. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks for that Rhoody. I found their website last night finally. I thought I had hear the name before and was confused because there is a company here in the states that goes by Quest as well.

8. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Globe

Thanks for the info, for some reason I decided against the Quest......did some more research and decided to call Smart Bro. They were at our house next day with a modem to see what kind of reception we would get with their service. The day after that, spent a couple of hours at their office getting the application all squared away and we had internet that same day!! We got a wi-fi modem (one we can take where ever we travel in the Philippines), it just plugs into the wall, doesn't connect to the computer at all. Highly recommend Smart Bro. , at least for the service we got. I am really disappointed in Globe, just didn't seem to give a flying flip if we ever got service or not.

9. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Reedy my friend in the Manila area was telling me about the wifi device. Here in the states they call it a 3g hot spot among other names. He said they had a plan with unlimited use and a per month charge. Is that what you ended up with?

Also what kind of speed are you getting? if your not sure you can go to Speakeasy Speed Test pick a city to run the test from and it will tell you what the performance up and down is.

Glad you are getting more settled. If things go well we may be joining you all in November.

10. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Smart Bro

Not sure if this is the same thing as a 3G hot spot, but the box says "Fixed Wireless Broadband Router", and like I said it just plugs into the wall, not the computer, and it can go with you where ever you travel in the Philippines. Yes, we have unlimited use with a fixed charge of 999 php/mo. The speed has really varied alot, we check it quite frequently, right now we are getting 78 kbps. Not great, but I am so thankful to have internet!!
    Thanks for the well-wishes and good luck with your move!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.