Dumaguete Info Search

Future locatation of SM City Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Manzanita, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Codger

Old Codger DI Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 16
    Robinson's a White Elephant?

Too true and Robinson's Department Store seems to have a dearth of paying customers, as does its cinema (most of the time - P100 too expensive for Dumaguete?), appliance store and handyman. The supermarket seems to have limited space and choice - not what I was hoping for. Not much accommodation for the numerous foreigners. They had a small but reasonable selection of wines when it opened, but now it's just Dona Elena, Novellino (is it even wine) and similar crap. It pains me to have to go back to Y Not and pay their prices for a decent bottle of wine, but no other choice. Unless anyone knows better?

I don't understand the pricing system here. I would expect wines and spirits to be a little more expensive than Manila, but some are horrendously expnsive. I like a drop of Drambuie; which I can buy in Manila for P800 a bottle. It's available in Monterey for P1,950!!!!! the cheapest I found it for was P1,100 in a shop without A/C and it looked like it had been there forever.

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    A 70 cl bottle Drambuie for 800 pesos? I don't think so.

3. Old Codger

Old Codger DI Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 16
    I kid you not. I know a shop off Makati Ave which sells it for P905/bottle. I ask discount and they give it to me P100 off. I get two bottles every time I go to Manila. I know that's cheap for Manila; Landmark liquor shop sells it NOW for P1,100 but it used to be P1,400.

4. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    codger,why dont you take a look in Times Mercantile.It seems to me that they have the best selections of wines and spirits..Prices are good on most items.It is just up the street where immigration is...Miguel

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Yes, Times is the place to check. One can count on Monterey to deliver at double the normal price. I haven't been in there in years.

Larry

6. Old Codger

Old Codger DI Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 16
    Thanks, but I've been there. In fact, that is where I found the Drambuie for
    P1,100. They seem to have a reasonable choice, and the prices weren't too bad, but the shop isn't airconditioned and the bottles are stored upright.

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    LMAO. Somehow, I just don't think you are going to do well here.

:wink:

Larry

8. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Is there any other way to store a bottle of Drambuie?
    Exept perhaps upside down in a bar

9. Old Codger

Old Codger DI Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 16
    Wow Larry, you must be one of these seasoned experts who know everything and fit right in, acceptng everything just as it is. I'm impressed.

Actually, I've been based here for 28 years and worked here for 10 years. I think it pays to have a little savvy, then you can overcome the little problems, not just accept them.

I buy wine and some spirits in Manila and bring them here. But that doesn't stop me from trying to find something here to save the hassle.

10. Old Codger

Old Codger DI Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 16
    You're hilarious Firefly. You should be on the joke page. However, if you read the thread correctly you'd find that Miguel had kindly offered information on the wines and spirits in Times Mercantile and I was obviously referring to wine being stored upright, instead of on it's side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.