Dumaguete Info Search

getaway from Duma

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by danbandanna, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Interesting that there is such a huge difference in first-hand experience between @mrossbach and @DavyL200 for the same resort.

So I looked at tripadvisor and found the same disparity: Excellent 24%, Very Good 23%, Average 17%, Poor 15%, Terrible 21%. A few of the 'Excellents' were more recent but many were 2016 and before, which is where most of the 'Terrible' comments are from.

One 'Terrible' comment was based solely on dining there and I found it very off-putting to read how him and his wife were treated.

I suppose if a resort has 53% average or below ratings then it is best to avoid until it proves itself with significantly better ratings. A pity, as its location looks very good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Yep, was quite surprised when I took the trouble and strife here last March. A bit remote, and a bit of a schlep from Duma. We had a villa with private pool but totally peaceful.
    Yep, was quite surprised when I took the trouble and strife here last March. A bit remote, and a bit of a schlep from Duma, but not demanding. We had a villa with private pool, totally peaceful with zero karaoke floating down the breeze. Never heard a manok either as I recall. A big plus. Antulang is a bit sprawling as a resort and some of the buildings look like an escaped architect from the Soviet bloc circa 1956 had a hand in their design, but it ticked all the boxes for me.

The rooms aren’t going to win any design awards, nor the furniture either. But we were comfortable and left pretty much to our devices. You can call for housekeeping during the day if your bacchanalian Rock n roll party has caused a bit of a mess. Just don’t try to bung the TV set over the cliff. You might put your back out.

Lunch and dinner weren’t too bad - order at least 45minutes in advance, go have a swim or whatever takes your fancy as service was a bit slow. But I just didn’t care, I wasn’t going to starve to death. Meal ingredients were fresh and portion size was ample, beer was cold. The breakfast buffet is to be avoided at all costs however. Please see earlier rants on this crime against humanity. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Couple of drawbacks, it’s perched on a cliff edge and there is no beach to speak of. Just rocky shore, though you can take your life in your hands and follow their concrete path n steps down if you want to get swept away by some pretty rough seas....they were when we were there. The advantage, open those sliding doors, let a pretty stiff sea breeze into your enclosed, walled villa. Security is a peach, it will take a pretty determined burglar who has watched the Guns of Navarone once or twice to make it up those cliffs. Thus bathing au naturelle is perfectly feasible without outraging the decency the local population. Important if you are worried about bikini strap lines etc. WiFi - er, we are in the Phils.

Hide your booze in your vehicle as with most resorts this is where the markup occurs, but don’t let ‘em catch you. In line with the Soviet architecture they promise some pretty Eastern Bloc punishments for transgressions...salt mining, expulsion to Siberia, borscht for a treat on Stalins birthday etc (ok maybe I’m exaggerating). But if you like a tipple best stash some in the car.

Big thumbs up from me for Antulang for sheer peace n quiet. Perfect too for letting the very Devil himself entwine and choreograph that sexual ballet with the wife you had been plotting if it wasn’t for the kids/staff interrupting every 5 minutes at home. Sigh....

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Coral Cay Resort in Siquijor has great beaches, good food and reasonable accommodations. Rustic setting with great sunsets.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Agree, the only disadvantage when low tide, too many urchins that cannot be avoided when walking to deep water to swim in the sea, though you can still swim in the pool of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    Head for Funtasea Resort.. Just a couple kilometers beyond Nipa Hut Lamb (km 116.5 national highway south)… you wont be disappointed.. untapped pristine conditions..

If you are driving no problem. Bus requires a change over in Bayawan then a requested drop off... bus driver knows Funtasea…

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    One positive for this resort is that they publish a full price list - even for an 'extra bed'. That shouts out 'efficiency'.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    Got married at Antulang. Rough drive. Close to Kookoos nest. No beach. On a cliff like Nipa Hut Lamb. Great pool.