Dumaguete Info Search

Getting Around Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by earamoni, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earamoni

earamoni DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

Can anyone suggest the best way to get around the city ?
    How about doing a day trip? Anyone who knows where to rent
    a car with driver to visit outside Dumaguete city?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
    EA

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
  3. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Trip advisor or its forum might give you some ideas for exploring Negros:

Exploring Negros island - Bacolod Forum - TripAdvisor

Naturally, there is a variety of sources for car rentals, both with or without a driver. With is recommended.

Depending on the number in your party, the destination involved and your negotiating skills, you might try making a deal with a tricycle driver for his services on a per diem basis.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Well, there is no variety of rental cars in Dumaguete.

The link I posted is also the only car rental accredited by the LTO to go to Negros Occidental, while there is none in Bacolod allowed to go here.

Welcome to the "impressive" Philippine bureaucracy.

As a matter of fact even resorts in Dumaguete and Dauin can have their cars confiscated when bringing their own guests for example on a day trip to the twin-lakes. They are only allowed to use their company-cars for picking up guests at the air/sea port and bring them back there.

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I use a local licensed van driver named Willie when friends come, very credible and can quote you a flat fee. Not sure if I am allowed to give his number online so you can text me at 09175663990.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I definitely would not rely on any private driver. It is since 3-4 weeks just crazy what is going on in the LTO with several regulations.

The guy with his 9 "Taxi" has only 3 of them licensed and that is where a lot of trouble started a while ago. Now no rental car is allowed to be older than 2006, Each need the "rainbow" -ish license plate, which still does not mean they can take you everywhere. (see Resort Example above)

One of the Resorts in Dauin has 4 cars for guests and their luggage, but where only given 2 of this "rental-car"plates. They have many times groups with 20 and more guests arriving but can't pick them up in with their own cars and of course bring them back on departure day.

I am sure that waves going down again but I know about several confiscated cars which were given back a few days later to the owner.

As of now (and probably until christmas, like each year) I would not take the risk just to safe a few peso.

7. OP
    OP
    earamoni

earamoni DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to all of you for your quick replies. It is appreciated!

EA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.