Dumaguete Info Search

Getting cash in Duma

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Rye83, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Having issues getting a large amount of cash, to purchase a motorcycle. Is there anywhere that does a "cash advance" so to speak. I have a US bank and a credit/debit card. I have been walking around Duma for 3 hours now to no avail and saying I am aggravated doesn't come close to describing it. Opening a Philippine bank account and doing a wire transfer is not an option (my US bank requires me to be there in person to do a wire transfer). I don't want to waste time on a loan because I will just pay it off in a month. The banks pretty much tell me to go screw myself anyways and don't seem to interested in making money. Someone here has to have a credit card machine and charges fees for cash. (If not expect to see me opening one soon in Duma).

Anyone have any ideas.

2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The only thing I can think of is using xoom to transfer myself 6k and then western union the rest to myself. This would be a hassle and I'm really hoping for a one stop shop.

3. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    If none of the major banks can do a cash advance (BDO, BPI, Metrobank, PNB, Chinabank or Unionbank) then I can only think of using the Xoom/WU/Moneygram option (approximately $3,000 daily max each) or taking a quick trip to Cebu where I should think someone like Citibank could surely accomodate you...

I have never tried a cash advance here, but it would seem odd if the major banks couldn't do it. You may try asking for a manager...often the 'frontline' people aren't very knowledgeable about anything outside of their defined role.

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Why don't you just buy the bike with your credit card?

5. Happy She & Me

Happy She & Me DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    3 day pay!

Let's assume you buy a bike for P60.000, pay P20.000 a day and after 3 days the bike is paid for and you take delivery. Yamaha no problem with a downpayment and the rest paid in 30 days, SAME AS CASH! With your ATM/CREDIT card you can withdraw P20.000 a day.

Enjoy your new bike!

Benjamin

6. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    When I read 6k, I was thinking $6,000....if it's only P60,000 you need, then the P20,000 per day seems like a good option, or RemitHome.com will allow you to send up to $1,000 per day....first transaction is free*...takes about a day, but I have used it and the transaction was smooth.

*No transaction fee, but you do get knicked a bit on the exchange rate, but still better than the rates offered by Xoom, WU, etc.

7. Happy She & Me

Happy She & Me DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    6 K Dollars or P60.000

That is a big difference.... I may have missunderstood your question. A motorbike for 6K Dollars is the same as P260,000 so you must be looking for a very nice bike. Go for the $1.000 / day.... EASY DOES IT!

As my father always told me....If you are looking for something good that you really want, you can't wait long enough, and eventually you will get it! That refers to new merchandize only!

Buying a used bike from a private owner is a different ballgame!

Hope the dealer include a FREE top of the line Helmet!

Good Luck!

Benjamin

8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would buy it with my credit card if they accepted them. I was a little surprised that a place selling high value items doesn't have some sort of payment plan. I think I will be doing the xoom, western union option. Not that there seems to be much other of a choice. (Have to contact my bank to up the daily spending limit just to achieve that in less than than week.)

9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    When I say motorcycle I mean a sport bike, 650cc, not a scooter. Wife (soon to be x wife) took the car. That civic was a POS. She can keep it and I am glad to be rid of both of them but I still need a new ride and cars are a pain here.

And yes I expect a helmet with the purchase. (The Philippines is not the best place in the world to learn to ride a sports bike. I don't have experience with other types of bikes though. When I smack the pavement I would like to give it another try.)

10. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Correction : I DO have experience with other types of bikes.